how long to drop the gas tank? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how long to drop the gas tank?

just wanted an idea of how long it is going to take me to drain then drop my gas tank? I know to add hours to what you tell me...

-MarkyMark
80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 12:16 PM

Re: how long to drop the gas tank?

Not totally sure of the time involved, but drain time can be significantly effected by a number of things, how full is the tank, how many gallons does it hold, and similar items. I had the tank in one of my trucks out in about 2 hours total, I believe, and it was relatively empty, so not much had to be drained from it in order for me to remove it. Shouldn't be too bad of a project, unless the fasteners that attatch it are frozen together, in which case it can add a considerable amount of time, and a few cans of Liquid Wrench to the total project cost. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck with it!

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 GMC Suburban 4x4 and '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's really not too bad. I just replaced the original tank out of my '76 CJ, and I would say it took between 45 minutes to an hour total. Spray all the bolts with Liquid Wrench or something the night before and it will make things go a bit smoother. I used an impact wrench as well, which removed all the bolts in no time at all. The worst part is draining the fuel in my opinion. Once that's done, remove all the hoses/wires, remove the bolts (making sure you have a floor jack or something underneath) and it practically falls right out. Good luck.

<font color=green>1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
6" Lift, Dana 44 Front & Rear</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A good way to drain the fuel is to use a cheap 12V fuel pump. Run the wires to the battery and pump the fuel out into cans. I always carry a spare electric pump on the trail, and just outfitted it with enough fuel line to make it easy. Have changed a couple of tanks using this method.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well for my 63 CJ it is easy. take out the front drivers seat. 3 bolts. Pull the line. its out. Bad thing is. if you add flame. driver seat become ejction seat.
dan stewart

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 08:49 PM

1st time 45min-1hr. Second time 30 min, and the third time you will really be good at it and it should be off and back on in 20 minutes. If you have 5 gallons or less in the tank at the time it is still easy to manuever...in other words, 5 gal or less dont need to drain it before removal. I think the hardesy part was getting the filler neck and vent hoses hooked back up! Good luck

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
78CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode