what's the max thickness a 110 wire feed can weld - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

what\'s the max thickness a 110 wire feed can weld

I was goofing around with some scrap from my trac bar brackets (I'll past pics when I get home) and tried welding a few 1/4 inch scraps together ... the first few pulled right apart but after fooling with the heat / wire speed a got it to weld up so I couldn't pull them apart. So it got me to thinking whats the max thickness it can securly weld? its a wire feed gas lincon 110.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:02 PM

Re: what\'s the max thickness a 110 wire feed can weld

I think it depends on how much penetration is required on the joint.

if 20-50% penetration is suffecient then you could probably weld some 3/4 plate together.

Ive never seen a 110V mig get 100% on 1/4 stock, but IM waiting for someone to show me, since alot of folks say they can.

I dont think id go over 3/16, maybe 1/4 max if the design is good, and its beveled and welded from both sides.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: what\'s the max thickness a 110 wire feed can w

Ozark,
For projects on the jeep, what is usually made with 3/16 or 1/4 metal? I am thinking cooler racks, and other little project. I am not using the 110 to do srping perches or anything, but could i use it to make a bumper or tire carrier? what thickness is used the most for different jeep mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:49 PM

The answer:
It depends.

It depends on what gas you're running: 100% CO2 will burn hotter.

If you run .035 flux core it'll get hotter too.

Depends on how close you get to the work.

Depends on how slow you drag the pool.

Depends on how much juice your box can put out (in amps).

Personally I have no problem with %100 penetration on 1/4 stock with my 135Amp. With the 100Amp I used to have, I would make a multiple passes and/or weld a joint from both sides if I could.

As for thickness most of my stuff is .120 wall, up to 1/4 in extreme cases for skids.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

thats what I've heard a good welder could do 1/4 with a 110. I had to crank the heat up all the way and it looked like I was getting penetration (not 100% i'm sure). Is there a way to tell how good the penetration is? i was thinking of cutting the weld and looking at a cross section.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:59 PM

Yep, cut it apart. don't use a torch to do it though, use a non-thermal means for the best cross-section.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 02:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

A friend of mine welds 1/4" all the time with his Lincoln 110. He says you need to get the mix just right, and he does use the larger wire, but his welds are definitely stout and have 100% penetration. I have seen him weld for years now, and while I like the miller 185, I'd have no problem having him weld something for me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Veteran

i have found that it greatly depends on the circuit that the welder is plugged into. i took the welder to a buddies and it did a great job welding 1/4". i took it back to my garage and it did a terrible job. it was so bad that you could hear the fan on the welder slow down when you welded.

just my 2/100's

shawn
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:18 PM

100% penetration as in drop thru on the bottom of 1/4 plate?

I guess I beleive you guys, Ive just never seen a 110 V machine that would do that.

Id love to see some pictures of single pass on a 1/4 plate with drop thru = to the bead on top.

although, there is nothing that has to be 1/4 in a Jeep.

you can completely build a rig with a 110Mig, lots of folks have done it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Way Outta Control

We all know someone that claims their '67 Pontiac Bonneville will go places 4 wheelers are scared to go.

We also know, or hear of, folks that can weld 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch materieal with a 110 volter. If we wait long enough somebody will be bragging they do 2" thick material all the time.

Dribbling filler material out the bottom of the crack is not penetration. Whether it's Veed or not.

True penetration is when the filler material melts into the base material at least 1/3 to 1/2 the base material's thickness. The whole idea is that the base material on each side melts, almagomates, combines or merges together with the filler material, becoming one solid section.

Dribbling filler in the crack without melding (yes melding) the materials together isn't welding. Neither is using JB Weld.
110 volt welders just don't generate enough heat to do melt the thicker base materials - both sides, and the filler material, 1/8" is about max IF one is good with it.

Some folks claim they watch the puddle so they "know" it's penetrating - that puddle is the melted filler (wire), not the base metal.

But, don't believe me, or anyone else. Try it yourself. Test on 3/16" flat pieces. (Or have your local weld supply shop demonstrate one of their toys to you.)
Weld a horizontal flat weld, as good as you can for about an inch. Now break it - put it in a vice and hit it with a hammer - bend the pieces so they try to fold over onto the weld (in other words, hit it from the back.) Stand clear when it flies apart.

Take a look - the filler didn't break, the material next to it broke because it didn't penetrate into the base material. One side will probably look very clean, like it wasn't melted at all.

Now cut across that joint, or another made similar, and soak that part in acid, pool acid will do it. You'll be able to see how the crystalline structure changed but only on the surface. No real penetration, no wonder it broke. It's just the filler clinging to the base material like tape does.

Now take that weld and some more of the same material to a professional weld shop - ask him if he can do better with his real welders. He probably won't charge you anything, the laugh is worth it!

The toys are good for sheet metal and tacking things together to be welded with a real welder.

See for yourself!

It's your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode