Shackle replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shackle replacement

I'm in the process of compiling parts to order, and need a little input on shackles. I'm not looking for a lift or anything, just stiffer/stronger. I used Desert Steel on my last two Jeeps and was impressed, but now with the magic of the WWW, I've found that my options are not limited to what Fly-N-Hi carries. Anyway, are there any brands anyone has previously tried that I should avoid, or any particular ones I should look for? TIA[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Shackle replacement

Make your own from 3/8 flat bar 2" wide. I bought a set of H style from WP Warrior once and they were welded crooked. I replaced them with my homemade ones that the "metal supermarket" cut, I drilled and welded and they cost me about $20.00 for front and rear, nothing crooked either. Currie's look ok, bolt together with a bolt and sleeve in the middle of the H. Most heavy duty shackles with an H style design will be 3/8 lift as they need clearance for the cross brace, especially if it's made of 2" square tubing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 894793-shackel.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got Currie shackles on my CJ. I like them just fine. If you were impressed by Desert Steel, you will get all up on the Currie shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would fab my own, but currently lack the facilities - nowhere to plug the machine in without hardwiring it to the panel[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'll check out the Curries and see what they look like. I've been seeing alot of "boomerang" shackles too - anyone know what the advantage to these is?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:21 PM

Regardless if you want lift from your shackles or not, the only option in shackle theory is to do a reversal and this place has the shiznit to do it right...
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.rubiconexpress.com>http://www.rubiconexpress.com</a>
getsum
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Currie shackles are bolted together not to be cheap, but to facilitate better spring movement, especially when the spring is not parallel to the frame (articulation). Just lettin ya know.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The boomerang shackles would offer you no benefits if you are putting them on a CJ. They are made for the rear of YJ's so the don't hit the frame.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 05:17 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Plug in a Machine? Well, just get some 3/8" flar bar from a machine shop, cut to the right length, and drill your own holes. It's cheaper than anything you can buy and just as good. Use 3 bolts, one for each end and one in the center. I made my own and won't buy another set for anything. I also use them to even out the front/rear jeep lean.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not really looking for an improvement in operation, just a little edge in safety. My current pieces are showing their age, and appear a little bit bent. I ended up obtaining a pair that a coworker made, similar to TiminMB's setup, now all I need is to find some good bolts locally[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode