Toy axles in Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:51 AM
85Jeepny

Toy axles in Jeep?

Anybody put thought into this? Toy axles are pretty strong and good gearing from the factory....

I was thinking Land Cruiser FJ-80 axles, full floaters, disc brakes, factory locker, 4.10....

Front reverse rotation high pinion.....

Just thinkin' when I did the brakes on our Cruiser I was looking at the hub and holy cow!!! they're big, just about the same size as the rear hubs on my friends PowerSmoke!

I'll probably catch hell for this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Toy axles in Jeep?

I've seen a few with toy rear axles. But would you do front? Wouldn't they have the crappy birfields(sp?) in them?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 04:29 PM
85Jeepny

yeah but the FJ-80 axles are WAAAY beefy, I think someone was telling me like D-60 beefy, they are very large 32 or 35 spline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You probably will catch hell for this, but just from people that haven't tried it. I've got early 80's Toy axles SOA under my CJ-5 locked up running 36's. I wheel the wee out of it. I have tried to break them just to see how strong they are and I haven't broke anything yet. True, I am paranoid about the front birfields...any time I hear the slightest pop I think it is a birfield...but it hasn't been one yet. But you can get the Longfields or Super birfields (same thing different name). I haven't heard of anyone breaking these yet. I also lucked up and got 4.37 gears in both my axles that came out of different trucks. Also, it is fairly easy to do a crossover steering set-up. Which you have to do because of the gay Toy J-arm. I also have Toy driveshafts, which are WAY beefier than stock Jeep shafts. I had them cut down and got the correct size yoke for the t-case end, had them made at my local powertrain shop. I am digging this set-up for now, but I will still end up going dual 60's one day. Just my 2 cents. Late, Casey
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:04 PM
M38

when I was 18 or so I had an 83 toy regular 22r blew it and pulled motor trannie and transfer case out of a suburban and shoved in it, the gears never gave one min. of trouble and I was running 35's and smoking them ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:17 PM

Satan is now watching you for even bringin up such a tale as putting Toyota stuff in your Jeep...shame on you! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They work well, though. And that's what it's all about....whatever works. If Satan can follow me down the trail...he can have me!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 05:23 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Do a search.

A friend was running the Toy axles in his Scrambler behind a build 289, and they held fine, no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode