AMC 258 coolant temp switch "HELP!!!!"...UPDATED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 06:15 AM
FrenchJeeper

AMC 258 coolant temp switch \"HELP!!!!\"...UPDATED

Hello,

As most of the time when i post on this board it is for help ( maybe one day i ll know all about Jeep, i whish!!!). Anyway, i am going to put a TBI kit on my AMC 258 and i have a problem. I went to Jaffer's website (thanks to him) and found a link to a lot of information about the ignition, vac... on this engine.
I found where the switch is located, went out to look on my baby and..... no switch and no place to put one!!!!
I have a Clifford intake and i am lost, where am i going to put this switch???!!! (it is not the water heated one)
So, please help me...

Here is a pic of the engine if you can spot it let me know [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

UPDATE:
As far as i know this swith is supposed to be normally open and to close at 135F...Maybe it will help you to help me!!!!
Thanx a lot....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 06:26 AM
Old Hand

Re: AMC 258 coolant temp switch \"HELP!!!!\"

If it is a 258, the temp sender should be in the cylinder head near the firewall on the intake side, not in the intake itself (right next to the valve cover).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 06:39 AM
FrenchJeeper

Re: AMC 258 coolant temp switch \"HELP!!!!\"

Well, i am not talking about the sendor but the swith with is supposed to be open and close at 135F
The one shown <a target="_blank" href=http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/coolant.htm> there</a>
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: AMC 258 coolant temp switch \"HELP!!!!\"...UPDATED

OK, I'll take a guess here. The water lines for the intake are in line with the heater core, so if all else fails why couldn't you build some kind of adaptor or possibly use a pipe "T" and a couple hose barbs? Just put the hose barbs in each end of the "T" and install the switch in the remaining hole and install in the heater hose between the engine and the heater core. It would be easy and should work.
The drawing is rough, but you should get the idea. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 894828-Scan Sep 20, 2002-3.jpg (60.7 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 12:42 AM
FrenchJeeper

Thanx a lot, you came with the right answer!!!! It took me a moooong time to find it and here is what i get

"The last thing to install on the engine is the coolant temperature sensor. On mine I used a passage meant for a thermal vacuum switch or CTS (This is found on 1983 and newer 258 engines; I had it because my new engine came from an 1983 model year Jeep) on the intake. If you don't have anything like this available, you can use a brass T and put it in a heater hose. The only requirement to be sure to remember is that you must put a ground wire from the T fitting to the block, as the rubber hose is of course ungrounded and this will cause the CTS not to work properly."

It is from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/holleyreview.htm>here</a>. Thanks again for your help since i was really felling as i won t be able to install my TBI without paying a lot for some new parts!!! (i don't remember how wrote that JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket but he is damn right!!!)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:40 AM
mindbender

Besides doing the "T" you can pickup a used thermostat cover or what ever it is called from a newer 4.0 that already has the fitting for the temperature sensor <font color="blue"> </font color> built into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode