CJ7 body parts and tub, which brand? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 body parts and tub, which brand?

Sorry about all the post but I'm excited about the decision to do a ground up rebuild and just want to do it right. I have read days and days worth of archives but would like to know recent experiences or failures. I have a 1983 CJ7.

There are a lot of manufactures who have all sorts of body parts and tubs. They range from Jeep factory steel to aluminum to fiberglass and kevlar.

A few questions....Does any body make steel tubs with good steel (not the cheap steel of imports). I know since the Chysler corp. took over Jeep the rust buckets seem to have gone away. From what I understand its better quality steel and better prep and paint. I don't mind steel but rust is a pain in the butt.

What about the aluminum tubs and body parts? They claim to be stronger than steel and aluminum shouldn't rust. How do they hold up otherwise? I like the aluminum but there seems to be a concern cause everyone is using either steel or fiberglass tubs/kits. WHY?

What about fiberglass and kevlar? There are a lot of people making these. I don't know about the everyday strength of fiberglass if its not reinforced or high quality fiberglass manafacture process. I can think of a million potentially weak spots in fiberglass, such as the floorboard. Feet can be very damaging to fiberglass over a period of time. What about 'dents' and 'cracks' and holes being elongated....any concerns here.

As you can see, I need help. Let me know your experiences and preferences. I am looking for the entire kit.

Thanks,
RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:43 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: CJ7 body parts and tub, which brand?

Well I'm not an expert in any of this, but I have heard a lot of oppinions on this. First off, if you are looking to replace the tub on a CJ you should look into putting a YJ tub on. They will be cheaper than buying a new tub and they are galvanized, which means they shouldn't rust. With only a few modifications they will fit great. If you are looking for a brand new tub go to www.willysoverland.com and look at what they have. From what I hear they are the best steel replacement tubs on the market.
Next to fiberglass. It is lighter and cheaper than a NEW steel tub. They are quite strong and will hold up to any street and most off-road abuse you can give them. I have a fiberglass body on my CJ and I have no complaints with it. If you wanted to elongate or move a hole all you do is use a patch to fill the original hole and drill a new one.
I don't really know about kevlar and aluminum tubs, but I have heard some negative comments on the kevlar. Maybe someone else here can chime in on that. I haven't heard anything of aluminum tubs so I can't comment on that at all.
And lastly, no matter what kind of tub I bought, I would use a bed liner on the inside to protect it. Not only does it work great, but it looks good too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The aftermarket steel tubs are all made by one company out of the phillipines. I cant speak for what willy overland does to there tubs, cause they mod the crap out of them. But the steel tubs from anyone else are JUNK. Nothing even comes close to lining up. Holes are drilled in the totally wrong place. Support brackets are missing and must be welded in. We are doing a 7 restroation at work and it should have took us about 40 hours to do a tub swap. So far we have 60 hours in it and arent even close to the end. I have 20 hours just in the firewall. If i had to suggest anything it would be a YJ tub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 12:25 PM

I just completed swapping a YJ tub on to my CJ and I'm glad that I went that route. First, the two tubs were 99% identical. Once installed the tube lookds 100% stock. The modifications needed are minimal, and more importantly in my case, easy. All of the information you need is on this site, so do the search.

I found my tub on carpart.com. search for a "rear clip". I paid $900 for a 95 YJ tub, and the guy threw in everthing that was on it. The other parts alone were worth over $900 by themselves. Unless you have your heart set on fiberglass, I would recommend the YJ tub swap. If you are interested in fiberglass, 4WD Hardware sells an instructional video tape. There is a lot of drilling and fitting with a fiberglass tub that is already done on a YJ tub. Anyway, I found the tape helpfull in either case. Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have an AFW frame and when time comes an AJ's fiberglass body will go on it. I think they make the best. Aluminum would be neat but you would have to watch out for dissimilar metal corrosion. Fiberglass doesn't rust or corrode. BTW opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one and sometimes they stink. Try to ask what aftermarket products people actually own and have installed themselves. Also I love Cheat Lake. Years ago there used to be a restaurant called Mont Chateau. Was a real great place.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 06:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Rick

I just did a complete resto on a 79 CJ5 a year ago and since you have a 7 , go and find a good YJ tub . The CJ tub I got was in really great shape which saved a lot of headaches . IMO I would never go fiberglass because it just doesnt look like a real Jeep afterwards and I dont care what anybody says about that . Looks like a kit car . Its gotta have JEEP stamped on the side buddy !! Know what I mean ?
Overland Willy`s does a "purty up " on the off shore tubs like someone said here . Where I live Aqualu makes a great aluminum tub for 7`s . And with the US conversion rate its a bargain and a half for US folk .

Jeff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Its gotta have JEEP stamped on the side buddy

<hr></blockquote>that's easy enough to do. Just make a mold from the old body, fill it with gelcoat and stick it on. On the other hand, I wouldn't trade the convenience of my one piece tilt forward end for anything.

As long as I'm here, I'd advise against aluminum. I'd think you'd need to import elves from the Black Forest if you ever needed body work. I'd also stay away from Kevlar. The weave is too tight and it won't wick through. It acts as a separator sheet in the epoxy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 08:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You know what Taz , I do like those tilt front ends , only issue is , how do you get around mounting a winch to the front ?

J
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Like this:

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 06:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

CJ7Taz----sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode