which CJ7 frame, Matkins or AFW - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

which CJ7 frame, Matkins or AFW

I have several post but three different subjects, so I will post three times. I have checked the archives but would like to get as current experience and advise.

I have a 1983 CJ7 and want to start from the ground up rebuild and upgrade. This post will deal with CJ7 frames.

I know that the CJ7 frame is not very strong (compared to what I'm not sure)and since its a 1983 its 20 years old. I plan on upgrading the systems on the CJ7 and thought the frame should be upgraded also. I plan on putting a V8, manual tranny and dana 44's front and rear.

I am considering a matkins or AFW frame. I have to say the matkins appears more stout but like the options on the AFW.

If you were choosing, which frame would you choose (or do I really need a more stout frame for the V8) and why?

In the archives it appears most post were praising the AFW, because of accurate alignment of accessory holes but this was by mostly a few jeepers. The main negative to the matkins was lack of customer service and some holes not aligned. Well, what now.

What are your experiences or suggestions?

Thanks,

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:45 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: which CJ7 frame, Matkins or AFW

It appears you did a search and found the threads about this. I would trust all the advice put into there. I think you've already had your question answered.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:19 PM

I'd say go with Matkins. Be aware of those recommended and proven companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

AFW. Everything A OK. They even supplied references. And when a long time well known company like 4WD Hardware will carry them........
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you did a search I'm sure you came up with my opinions...I stand by them! I have had my AFW frame for two years now and would buy another one. Everything bolted right on and it was actualy square! The standard frame is 3/16" and plenty strong for a V8 short of 600hp Big Block...for that you can upgrade to 1/4" thick!

When I was shopping for a frame, Matkins wouldn't return my calls or e-mails so I wasn't giving them my money. They might make fantastic frames, but without the courtosy of answering a few questions, I would never know.

I thought my frame was tweaked when I was installing my 4WD Hardware body tub, but did some measuring and found out the tub wasn't square. This became apparent when I tried mounting my hardtop and either had to have a gap in a rear corner, or not have a door fit right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode