Signs of a bad auto? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Signs of a bad auto?

I am going to test drive an 89Waggie today. It has high miles, but the 360 has been rebuilt, sounds real nice. Real smooth. And the guy is only asking about half what it is worth.
I am concerned that the auto transmition may be tired after all those miles. I am wondering if there are any signs or things to check as far as transmition quality. Is there a way of knowing when they are about to die, do they let you know or do they just stop working. I have little to NO experence with autos. Always been the clutch kind of person. Any info would really help when I have the chace to drive it this afternoon or tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:58 AM

Re: Signs of a bad auto?

it should shift firm ( not tire chirping, but not slipping either)

it should move when you press the gas from a dead stop, you sholdnt have to rev it hard.

the fluid should be bright red, and NOT smell burned.

the best way to see the condition is to drop the tranny pan and look for material from teh friction surfaces.

BUT, if its cheap, and it shifts good, buy it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check for fluid leaks. Listen for any noises (it shouldn't make any). Turn the radio off and listen and "feel" the shifts. Shifts should be crisp, and should occur when the motor is getting to higher rpms and it "sounds like it should shift." Check for stack shifting. When accelerating from a standstill, if the tranny shifts from first to second to third really quickly, that's bad (i.e. you're in third at 13 mph or something). Get on it once or twice, and feel the shifts. The shift points should be delayed, but the shifts themselves should not. You'll feel worn clutch packs in a shift when the tranny shifts, but it feels like it hesitates before grabbing. Oh, and check the fluid for coloration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the good advise. I will be sure to check the fluid for sure. I don't think I am going to be able to pull the pan off, that would be a bit much.
It sounds like there arn't really any secrets. If it runs well and the trans works, they it's good to go. If it slips or stacks I think I will steer clear.
Again thanks for the advise !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Official Historian

I have 130k miles on my 4x4 dodge pickup with the TF727. It has probably led a rougher life then the wagoneer and it is still working like it's supposed to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode