1983 CJ7 or 1997 wrangler-Which one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1983 CJ7 or 1997 wrangler-Which one?

I have a brother who is interested in buying a jeep and I have given him my advise but he insist I ask the forum the question. He 'borrows' my computer (sometimes my CJ7) to read the forum.

There are two jeeps in the local area for sale (that he likes) and he wants to know which one he should buy and basic reasons why. I told him I wouldn't let the forum know my advise to him and that way the forum wouldn't be biased.

He is slightly above average when it comes to mechanicals on cars and trucks. He will use it mostly for daily driving but he will use it off road in the hills of West Virginia. He's not a rock crawler but he likes gettin off the beaten path.

Now the two jeeps.....(#1) 1983 CJ7, 6 cylinder, 4 speed manual, 130,000 miles. Appears to be in good condition, with some minor rust. Has a bikini top. $2,000

(#2) 1997 wrangler, 4cylinder, 24,000 miles, soft top, appears in excellent condition. $12,000

I know that there are going to be a lot of preferences and opinions but he asked for it. He plans on upgrading both a little, but the CJ7 a lot more (mainly because its a 1983 and he worried about the frame being that he is a family man)
Thanks,
RR for JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 1983 CJ7 or 1997 wrangler-Which one?

Get the CJ. Not only are they cooler, but the price is much better and he will be able to afford a lot of upgrades if he's got the $12000 he's willing to spend on the TJ. The TJ only has a 4 banger, so with a lift and bigger tires it'll already be strained. Once he takes in through a huge mud bog that 4 banger won't cut it. He will probly be able to work on the CJ more himself, but he may also do well on the TJ. Personally I'm a huge fan of CJ's so that is my choice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My money would go to the CJ - the TJ is a little too much of a "technological terror" for my blood. While more than capable in the dirt, I have no use for airbags, plastic dashes, and the other "improvements" the TJ's carry. Besides, as previously stated, the CJ is just far cooler. Why buy a vehicle carrying the "image" of the CJ when you can have the real thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:36 AM

I'd find a different wrangler and think square. 12K is high for a four banger. you should be able to find a nice 91 with a 6 cyl for about 5K.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are all right, I own a 2000 Wrangler with a 4 cylinder and ever since I drove my friends CJ I have been looking for one of my own.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 04:20 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree that 12K is way too high for a 4 cyl TJ, they go for about 7K up here.

All in all, if he wants reliability, get the TJ, if he wants to modify it and doesn't care about damage, get the CJ. The TJ is expensive to fix and modify when compared to the CJ.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:27 AM

True, the TJ is expensive to modify compared to the CJ and it is a four banger. But, you get fuel injection, coils, and other goodies that the CJ wont have unless you spend big bucks on that. It all just depends on how he is going to wheel it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:40 AM
85Jeepny

CJ CJ CJ!!!! If they are asking 2K, you could probably talk them down a little, think of all the money for mods, for that custom suspension, engine swap, all the goodies for less than the price of the TJ....which is waaaay overpriced at 12K, my wife had a TJ with the 4cyl, what a dog, we got on the interstate once and the wind was blowing real bad I couldn't go above 45, that sucked especially when the speed limit was 75! My CJ went much better stock!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:44 AM

For the money, he could buy the CJ, and then take the rest of the 10K and do an engine swap and any other mods he wants. That would take care of the fuel injection. IMHO I personally try to stay away from anything with a computer, that's why I'm going to neuter mine (I mean nutter).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:54 AM

He needs to get the CJ7. He can rebuild that motor and use the rest of the money to lift it and put tires, gearing and lockers on it. He does not need to get a 97 TJ because it is a four popper. My friend has one with 33's and he tops out at 70 mph - because of gearing. Plus he wont have any money left to put into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode