Engine Temp What is 2 hot? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Engine Temp What is 2 hot?

Now that I got the gauge working on my 360 I found that after being run for a good 30 minutes my engine temp is 205 degrees. Is this too hot? What long term effects could this mean for my engine? Also what would happened if it overheated?

Right now I just have a 2 core radiator with a new fan and fan clutch. Sometime I was going to get a 3core especially for off road but dont have the money right now. thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine Temp What is 2 hot?

Since I am knew to Jeeps, I'm not too sure but my guage reads about 1/4 up, and it smokes to all heck and is obviously way too warm and coolant comes flying out. So obviously something is wrong. What I plan on doing to solve this (hopefully it will work) is to get a new thermostat, water pump, electric fan, and am going to completely flush out the radiator. The electric fan is a little more expensive (around 100 or so), but the stat and pump is under 50 for both. I suggest you try that to see if it goes down at all. Like I said, I don't know what they should be at, but those are some things to keep in mind.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:11 AM

205 is not too hot at all. The real question is whether you have sufficient reserve cooling capacity. As long as it can hold 205 to 210 under all conditions, your OK.

Truckboy, I think you're planning to spend a lot of money that you probably don't need to. The first thing you should do is find out what temperature the engine is really running. Any decent shop will have a thermometer they can stick in the radiator for an accurate reading. If it really is too hot, the most likely culprit is the thermostat, and they're easy and cheap to replace.

Unless you've made serious engine modifications, the stock setup will work fine if it's in good condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the reason I am tempted to go with all that stuff is because it has 160,000 miles on, and I only put about 100 (NOT 100,000, but just simply 100) of that on it. So I don't know really what is good and what is not on it. However, this winter I am going to be putting a 350 in it, so should I even bother with that stuff? The 258 will then be rebuilt and put in something else (not sure what yet). So should I not even worry about it for now and just change everything when I put the 350 in? I got a free vehicle I am taking it out of, so it has everything. Should I just convert everything out of that and throw it in my Jeep? I'm thinking that is probably the way to do it. And help would be awesome! Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:00 AM

I don't see any point in doing more than necessary to keep it going until the swap. And probably that's a new thermostat. Water pumps rarely go bad except for leaking. When you get the stat out, put it and a thermometer in a pan of water and heat it to see if and when it opens. If it's good you have a more serious problem, like a plugged radiator, but my bet's on the stat.

Whether you use the Jeep radiator or the one out of the 350 depends on several things, but I think that I'd stick with the Jeep radiator. If it isn't sufficient, it might be easier to add rows, to a 3-row or 4-row, than make a strange piece fit the mounting brackets. And then you'll have a known good radiator.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 04:44 PM

205 is perfect. The normal operating range is about 200-220. No need to start worrying until it approaches 230. Engine damage won't occur until you get up to the 250-260 range.
If you can keep it in the 205-210 range all the time, I would leave everything as is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode