ram assist steering w/33's??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

ram assist steering w/33\'s???

Is there any benefit for putting hydraulic ram assisted steering on a Jeep with 33's (which will become 35's) other than the fact that it is cool.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:59 PM
krazykracker

Re: ram assist steering w/33\'s???

35's then 37's,39's,44's Yes I think you should do it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:11 AM

have you checked your local laws yet? if i remember right some states dont allow it unless your rig is just for trail riding.... if i could afford it, heck ya it would be the way to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Official Historian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have you checked your local laws yet? if i remember right some states dont allow it unless your rig is just for trail riding....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're thinking of full hydraulic. He's asking about hydraulic assist. That is how the early Ford and Dodge power steering was. They used a manual steering gear with a hydraulic cylinder on the linkage to provide the assist.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:01 PM

sorry, thats new to me since ive never messed with (or wanted to) an older ford or dodge 4x4, always been chevy,toyota, and jeep for me....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:40 PM
Official Historian

Here's one writeup from a member of the board.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/steering.html>http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/steering.html</a>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your rig does not have any problems steering then why?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 07:35 AM

I agree with High 5,..dont do it unless you have a real need for it.
If you have already, replaced the flimsy stock, geometry and components, with a well designed high strength system, and it is still inadequate, then its time to go to a Ram.
Hydraulic rams are very very strong, and unforgiving. They can shread, bend, shear, and generaly mutilate steering components without breaking a sweat.
However, the steering control, that you gain with a well engineered Hydraulic assist steering is sweet!
By the way you dont have to spend $900 at AGR to fabricate a, strong and affordable system, using on line parts from
www.northerntool.com
Its about a half days worth of relatively simple, fabricating, welding, and install.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As stated, if you have problems turning the wheel, by all means do it. I just finished a full hydro setup on my jeep and I only run 35's at the moment.

As for legallity issues. The issue was brought up on the POR board. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=2504ce9ce472808e9e8b3640d918ed5b& amp;threadid=36204&amp;highlight=hydraulic+steerin g>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=2504ce9ce472808e9e8b3640d918ed5b& amp;threadid=36204&amp;highlight=hydraulic+steerin g</a>
After a little research and talking to others who have delved into the issue more fully: The DOT has no approval of any steering systems, whether they have a manual link to the wheels or not. Furthermore, there are no laws to speak of(in most states) concerning hydro assist or full hydraulic steering systems. Most police have no clue what is/ isnt legal on our vehicles anyway.

As for price. I built my entire steering system for $650. That includes all hoses, fittings, ram, tie-rod, heim joints, orbital valve, steering column, filter, etc, etc.

Whatever you do, just make sure you do your research and do it right. Dont throw something together with mix-matched parts and hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode