20-30 13 18.84%
30-40 8 11.59%
40-50 3 4.35%
<50 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

How old were you when you got into Jeeps?

I'm curious how old everyone was when they got into Jeeps? Not into 4x4n, but Jeeps. Me, I got into them at around age 15 or so. I got my first one when I was 16, my second one at 16 or 17, and now my current one when I was 18.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: How old were you when you got into Jeeps?

My dad and Uncles always had atleast one jeep around. My dad told me that I would hang from the roll bar like a little monkey as he took off down the road in his CJ5 with the Dauntless 6 popper winding up through the gears, and my mom and Grand ma yelling at him to put me in the seat and buckel me in!!!!

As for when I got into Jeeps, I guess I have to say I don't recall. I have always been into them as far as I can recall. then there's my wife, When my little girl was born 4 months ago, my mother -in-law informed my wife and I about how when my wife was born she was brought home form the hospital in an Old Willys Jeep. I thought that was too cool.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have been into them for as long as I can remember. There is just somthing about them.... I can't really explain it. If you have it, you know what I am talking about, if you don't... You don't. Must be a Jeep Thing !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:45 AM
JAS

I was raised with Jeeps. I can not remember a time when Jeeps were not the toy of choice. I had the Monster Tonka Jeep and many other Jeep like trucks for the sandbox.

I my grandfather had a Jeep pickup with a slit windshield, then later a late 60's Galdiator truck. My dad had a '67 Wagoneer, and so far I have had a 69 Jeepster, 74 CJ5 and a 97 XJ.

I hope that I always have Jeep to wrench on.

Jeff

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I started in highschool with a friend of mine. We dropped a sbc chevy into his CJ. Between him and a girl i used to date (her mom had a YJ that she used to let me use). I was hooked. Then i got into classic cars for awhile (help from my pontiac just sitting there). When the 58 needed brake work again (58 pontiac brakes SUCK). I was too pissed off to do it that day and decided to go hunting. So i borrowed my bro in laws cj and used that. Well i new right then i wanted my own CJ. So instead of going hunting i drove around in my bro in laws CJ looking for my CJ. I found it and bought it that day. Called my buddy to tow it home. Did the brakes on the CJ and well the 58 still doesnt have brakes three years later. So you can say i go into jeeps around age 18 then was reborn around age 24.

EDIT
And OHHHHH Jammy at least i can say i never owned a NEON. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, when I started high school (age 14) I started to notice them. I always liked trucks, but seemed to look past Jeeps for some reason. I then started to like them, but never really had any plans to purchase one. When I was 16 I got my first vehicle. It was a Suzuki Samurai. For a year I was perfectly content with that, well, I still am really. But anyway, as I started to bring in more and more money, I wanted another vehicle. I always thought I wanted a fullsize Bronco. However, I loved the idea of a convertible 4x4. Then my liking for Jeeps kind of took over. I decided I wanted one. I looked for about a year for one I could afford. Finally I found one. I got a rather rusty 86 CJ7 a month ago (age 18). This is going to be a fun, fun project. I plan on spending the winter building it up and restoring it into a lifted daily driver/off-roader/ show truck. I am then going to buy another Samurai, do the SPOA on that, put 31's on, and also use that for a daily driver. The current Samurai I have will then turn into a competition rock crawler. More money than I have? Yes. But oh well. Debt has to start somewhere, eh? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:43 AM

let's see when i was 14 i took a ride in a lifted bronco offroad and i was hooked. When i got back i started searching the net and decided i wanted either an xj or tahoe since wranglers were just too impractical. Then when our sparkly green pontiac bonivle started to need a lot of work and it would have been mine i convinced the rents to trade it in for an xj. We got our '99xj and that was going to be mine but my dad loved it so much and i decided a wrangler would be cooler and better offroad so we found my '95 yj which isn't with us any more and i've been hooked ever since.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Veteran

sometime around the age of five or so i tool my first ride in a cj-5 with no doors. it was loud, ugly, cold, and smelled funny, but for some reason it was the coolest thing in the world. pretty much from that time forward there have been two vehicles on this earth that i had to have, a cj-5 and a 67 big block vette ragtop.

when i joined the Corps I bought my first vehicle which was none other than a jeep (my first 78 cj5). i've had a few others since then and have gone back to basics with my new project, another 78 5.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:41 PM

I bought may frist Jeep when I was 14 years old, that was in 1968. When I was 11 years old a friend of my father had a old jeep in his garage that I just had to have. Worked for 3 years to save the money to buy the 1943 flatfender with a 283 chevy motor, Warn overdrive, detriots, and PTO winch. My dad's friend save it for me for three years till I had the money(what a great guy he was). I still see that Jeep driving around here from time to time. I've had 9 different Jeeps since then, in the 33 years I've been driving.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been into Jeeps since forever. Folks used to have to pick me up to get me in the 1960 Willys CJ-5. I learned to drive on it, pulled stumps,pulled haywagons, pushed snow, ran a trapline with it in the late seventies and early eighties, not to mention 4 wheelin any place it would fit into. Since then, I have lost count how many other Jeeps have come and gone.
B.T.W.---I still have the '60, its resting behind the barn awaiting ressurection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode