Anyone ever use painless wiring? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone ever use painless wiring?

Hello,
Its 2 am and I am just now finishing working on my jeep. Dang barke light switch! Urrgg cant get it out. Any way, I was looking under the dash and I think its time for some new wiring. First of all, there is no central fuse box, all in line fuses. And, some of them are broken!!! So, I was wondering if anyone ever used the painless wiring kit? Thinking about and want to see what everyone else thinks about them? And, are they expensive?
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:31 AM
47WillysCJ2A

Re: Anyone ever use painless wiring?

I have never used Painless but I just rewired my CJ2A with a kit from Centech.
http://www.centechwire.com and I am very happy with the results. I was looking at painless and the centech was a lot cheaper. They recommened that I use the GV-10 kit and it was overkill for what I needed. I paid $260.00 I think and it is the best money I've ever spent. They have several kits to choose from and they have some that are specifically for jeeps. http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/jeeps/index.html the instructions are very easy to understand. The only problems that I ran in to was I had to buy a new headlight switch and I had a different connector on my steering column so I simply cut theirs off and spliced into my column. I did the whole thing in about 6-7 hours total taking my time since it was my first rewire job.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:28 PM

I used a Painless kit on my Scrambler rebuild and was (still am) happy with it. I have heard many negative things about Painless (especially customer service) but I was pleased with their product. On the other hand, I have heard nothing but good things about Centech. If you go Painless, the best price I found was at No Excuses jeep parts in NJ and if I remember correctly, Summit had good prices also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Amen on the centech they are awesome. The fuse box options are much better than painless !
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, thanks I will check out centech. Does it include everything that INeed? And, how hard is it to rewire?
Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:24 PM
47WillysCJ2A

Yes it includes everything. The only exception for me was I had to get a new headlight switch since mine was a different type. Mine came with all of the connectors, wire ties, even the fusable links and plugs for the alternator. The fuse box comes complete with relays and fuses and is prewired and wires for the guages, headlights etc are packaged separately. Every wire is labled so there is no confusion as to what goes where. All you have to do is read the wire and run it to the proper location. I had never rewired a vehicle before and I completed it in about 6 or 7 hours and the only problem was I accidentally wired the front turnsignals into the indicator wire from the column. Once I fixed that problem every thing worked perfectly. The Centech kits are very straight forward and easy to install. I would recommend these kits to anyone who needs to rewire a vehicle.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks I went to there website and ordered a catalog. And, I also ordered a Painless catalog. Gonna compare. But, there is one thing, in my 61 I have electric wipers instead of vacum. I wonder if they have the wiring for that?
Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode