YJ - Bad Distrib. hold down? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

YJ - Bad Distrib. hold down?

Alright, well my 90 YJ has gotten in the habit recently of changing the timing at will. I never really noticed until this afternoon that the distributor is physically moving.

Right off hand, I'm thinking it's the hold down clamp.
It is Nuttered - and I can set the timing with a timing light to 10* BTDC @ 1600RPM and crank down on the distributor bolt and can not turn it by hand. However, without fail if I put any kind of stress on the engine, like climbing a large sand hill, it will undoubtedly drop down to 1* or 2* BTDC @ 1600RPM, which means at idle it's a few degrees ATDC.
Again, if I get out to reset the timing, the distributor has physically moved.
Is this concurrent with a bad hold down clamp, or is there something more sinister at work here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ - Bad Distrib. hold down?

I had a Chevy 230 that would do that - a new clamp and a serrated washer solved it (atleast for the next 5-6 years that I owned it). It's cheap enough of a fix that it can't hurt to give it a try.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I got a new clamp on order from the dealer, so it should be here tomorrow (09/19/02).
Anyway, I got to thinking...I can torque the hold down bolt to almost 15 ft/lbs and it's impossible for me to turn the distributor by hand.
As soon as I get on the freeway or place any amount of stress on the engine it will undoubtedly throw the timing off and again the distributor has physically moved.
Which has got me thinking - Could the distributor itself be compounding the problem. And if worse comes to worse, how hard is it to replace a distributor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pull the cap off..see if distributer has any side movement or up and down play...check under side of cap...see if rotor has contacted any place....then have someone crank engine and see if shaft runs true or wobbles...if all checks ok...mark rotor position...and pull...turn by hand and make sure it turns free... check gear..is it on tight..holding pin tight?...teeth uniform?...if all checks ok....look down into distributer hole and look at oil pump drive...is it bent?....cam gear teeth ok?....gasket on distributer ok?....some have a flat .060 gasket on them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stop driving it until you fix it!

My TJ had the same problem. The timing (especially important on a TJ) had gotten so far off that the detonation killed the #1 rod bearing and when it seized up it took the rod with it. the piston slammed into the head and the rod went through the oil pan! Not good.

I am now in the process of replacing the motor. I know every one wants a V8 in their jeep, but it's really not that much fun when you HAVE to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode