Does anybody know the size of stock YJ Dash Guages? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 11:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anybody know the size of stock YJ Dash Guages?

I was just wondering, because I wanted to replace my stock ones w/ some Phantoms....

Thanks a lot for any info, or help,
Peter Lombardi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 11:54 PM

Re: Does anybody know the size of stock YJ Dash Guages?

You might wanna pull your gauge clusters out...they're not "true" gauges. They're faces mounted in front of circuit boards. On early YJ's, the speedo & tach are actual gauges, but this changed sometime in the 90's. The good news is that with some arts & crafts you can replace them with "true" gauges. I've seen it done two different ways:
1) Fab a new center dash panel and mount gauges in it.
2) Take apart the center gauge cluster and toss the guts. Glue the new gauges into the housing.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK awsome, I have an 89 i6, so I just would glue them in then, but I was still wondering about there size,

Thanks a lot Jeepskate...
Peter L.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You;ll need to fabricate some sort of cluster mount for the new gauges to fit into your stock dash and the entire stock cluster is one moulded circuit board.
As for the size of the gauges, I think if you got the 2 1/16 in. gauges they should work fine for you. As a side note for ordering the fuel gauge, the ohm readings on the fuel sender is 1 ohm empty and 90 ohms full (you;ll need this info when you order the fuel gauge, at least this is what it is on a 91 YJ).

You can see a write up on my custom dash upgrade on my 91 YJ at:

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/jeep/...h/rlwdash.html

Good luck!

Rockdog

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:34 AM

You'd use the standard 2"+ gauges for the cluster and standard 3"+ guages for the speedo & tach...you'll want to pull out your factory speedo & tach and take a look at the mounting for them. You'll notice that there are metal mounting tabs attched to the bodies and you'll need to duplicate this setup. A bit more info on the cluster: when you pull it out and take it apart you'll end up with the white case which holds the cicuit board, a black fascia which has the holes cut into it that makes it look like you've got individual gauges, and a clear cover. You'll want to gut the white case, glue the gauges to the back-side of the fascia, then re-assemble the package and bolt it back in the dash.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:07 PM

the 5 small ones are 2" or 2 1/16" same thing, the big ones are 3" i think. i mounted mine with, (dare i say, aircraft sealent) (check out the picture) i'm sure enjoying attaching these pictures. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3/4tonYJ
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/8-lug,44/60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-2206-YJdash.jpg (48.0 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Peter, keep me informed.Does anybody know the size of stock YJ Dash Guages?

I was going to put Phanton guages in my 88 YJ. I called Auto Meter and couldn't get any useful info from anyone. Not sure if I needed electrical or mechanical guages or if the 2 5/8" would fit etc. Will you email me if you go through with this project and tell me if it works? I'd appreciate it.

<font color="blue"> -Dorian
www.4Low.com
</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, thanks a lot everybody I have figured out the sizes, thanks, but now I AM GOING TO DO IT, lol... and I was wondering if anybody could give me any info on wireing, I do have the page that Rockdog gave me, and that is helpfull, but I was wondering if the people who had done this w/ there stock dashes could tell me, or give me a site, that would explain how to wire it all up....

Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats a good Q, hey does anybody know if I should get mechanical or electric?

I will do that, I wonder which one it does use, I was just thinking electrical, not sure now... but by the part #'s it seems that rockdog used mechanical is that right rockdog? can I use either?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thats a good Q, hey does anybody know if I should get mechanical or electric?

negative. I ordered the electrical gauges (well except for the speedo which is mechanical).

Regardless if you use the stock cluster piece, you'll still have to re-wire the gauges and teh stock cluster is on a circuit board and they all connect to a plug. You'll need to trace the circuit leads to each wire and go from there.

It wasn't easy, but the resutls of my project turned out most excellent!

have fun!
Rockdog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode