Off Roading Forums banner

Finding D60 35 spline rear

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I'm curious what vehicle you can find a rear D60 35 spline? I've talked to several people about it and they said that very few came with that. So what is everyone doing for one of these? The 16 spline and 30 spline housing won't take 35 spline axles.

G
#9 ·
Jeeplvr, that was $2127.18?
Ouch, I figure mine will run me about a grand for axle, detriot, R&P and install.
I decided against narrowing and run it as is. PLus will sell my 44 to help pay for the 60 parts.

#10 ·
"Jeeplvr, that was $2127.18?
Ouch, I figure mine will run me about a grand for axle, Detroit, R&P and install.
I decided against narrowing and run it as is. Plus will sell my 44 to help pay for the 60 parts."

Have you priced Dynatrac or Currie units lately
I think I made out good for what I put in my D60.
Your axle is all ready 5 on 5.5 so all you need is to shorten it and throw in in right?. A machinist buddy of mine is doing the J4000 D60 swap to his jeep and this is what it has cost so far for the setup with disc brakes:

80.00 to shorten one axle (if you decide to shorten)
350.00 for a Detroit
145.00 for a R&P
150.00 to install R&P
20.00 for brake pads
100.00 for both rotors
120.00 for weld on brackets for the calipers
40.00 for calipers
160.00 for bearings (timken set80) that are nearly impossible to find for the Jeep pickup D60. He still hasn't found seals yet.
40.00 for brake hoses
8.00 for oil

Things he has done for free that most of us have to pay for are:
150.00 to shorten the housing unless you do it yourself. In which case proper alignment of the housing is nearly impossible. Take my advice and take it to a shop to be shortened.
That's
1363.00 so far if shortened.
1163.00 if not shortened.

The bearings and seals for the jeep D60 are very hard to find and very expensive. He may have to adapt a different kind of seal on to the axles because the stock seals are nonexistent so far.

I could not find a jeep D60 when I built mine so I built my own semi floater with 35 spline alloy axles, ARB, Ford housing ends, Ford drums, Precision 4.10 gears, and 5 on 5.5 lug pattern.

#12 ·
I'm not really looking for a rear axle, but my buddy needs one and I was also curious what vehicles they came out of. BTW - I should of said I'm curious about FF's. What would Pat be looking to get for this? My buddy might take it for his TJ since it's already perfectly setup except brackets.

G
#14 ·
Jeeplvr,
The 60 I have will go into a scrambler with a 34" rear driveshaft, so I hope I can get away without shortening it (hope)
I haven't really added it all up and honestly have no idea what they go for with dynatrac, etc
axle - 100
detriot - 467
install kit - 124
R&P - 179
shipping - 19
cost of installation - 100
I'm using the old TSM disc kit from a 44, the rotors fit and the bracket are close to fitting.
If not, I'll make my own bracket...
also perches - 25
brake lines/hoses - 50
that's 1064 (minus 500 for ol 44)

#15 ·
That looks like a good deal

Full floater D60's and 9 inch Fords are nearly a dime a dozen here in Reno. The "Pick and Pull" junkyard I go to has at least a dozen D60 8 lug FF's for 69.00 each.
They also have a number of 14 bolts and front D44's also but no front D60's though.

I'm not sure about the D44 pinion length difference from a D60, I guess I could measure mine, but I had to shorten my rear drive shaft 2" after my install. I replaced a model 20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.