Old Jeep Joys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Old Jeep Joys

Started to the bank with the CJ and it had been running good no problem, I had fixed the oil leaks and replaced all the hoses,fixed a vac hose leak, I am working through it and fixing it up, I have not had it very long. Got two blocks fron the house and the engine cut off, like I had turning the switch off, and it would not fire up again, so I walked back and called friend who tow me back home. Well now it back in the shop and I am drinking a cold glass of ice tea and cooling down. I will go out there later and get the meter out and see what the problem is. I am thankfull it stopped close to home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: Old Jeep Joys

too bad it died on you. One day i was mudding about an hour from home. I get out of the mud pit and on to the street and my aluternator is putting out 10 volts. I drove an hour home on I94 though chicago and it died in my drive way. That was my lucky day.

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I was driving around town showing off my new toy only two weeks after I had gotten it. I went to the local drive through, almost stalled it, did a magical thing with the clutch to save it but heard a little snap sound. Drove it home, pulled up next to the curb and the clutch pedal breaks. Well the pedal didn't break, but one of the pivot points did. I found out that all of the pivot points for the clutch were broken and I had two choices. Replace it with another mechanical clutch or have a hydraulic clutch put in. It'll be done this week and have the new clutch in it (hopefully). I'm just glad it didn't break at the drive through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Get used to it. Get a cel phone and put all your friends, family and the tow service on speed dial. Make sure you have the caller ID blocked or they'll quit answering.

It isn't quite that bad, but it seems like it sometimes. On the second day I owned mine, the alternator went out. I couldn't begin to count the number of times mine left me stranded or failed to start in the morning. Everything from a simple bad starter solenoid to sucking coolant into a cylinder and busting the piston and cylinder walls.

I've owned mine over 15 years now and it's nearly as dependable as sonething off the showroom floor, so there is hope.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

That's funny, in over six years, my CJ hasn't left me stranded or been out of service for more than a day (except for the tranny replacment and rebuild after flipping it).

That said, I've limped home on three cylinders, impersonated the Exxon Valdez when my oil line blew, drove it home after flipping it, had the axle break in two deep in the axle tube (it wasn't too bad though [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] -- okay, I had to walk home that day!!!).

Anyway, you have to love them don't ya? I don't know what I'm going to do with my fully rebuilt CJ. It won't seem the same without the constant worry and the extra food stashed away just in case.

Fritz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

You are right about the cell phone, I turned my phone back on when I bought this old CJ.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I could not belive it when I could not get it home with out a tow. My old 88YJ gave a lot of problems in the first year I had it, but it all ways brought me home under it own power. This one will be reliable also when I finish fixing it up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I had a cell phone for a while before I bought my CJ but got rid of it before the big purchase. Three weeks after getting the CJ my folks realized that there is a pretty good chance of me getting stranded since I love road trips so they got me a phone. I'm not complaining, but I'm sure some of you out there think I'm spoiled, and maybe I am. Oh well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:16 AM

I love the one where you run out of gas at the intersection before the gas station and blast through the stop sign to coast right in next to the pump.

The last time I got stranded was when my water broke.... (well. My freeze plug poped out and dumped a third load of anti-freeze on the road.)

"Dad.. um you know that freeze plug we just replaced? Ya, if you see it on the road on your way to pick me up could you grab it so I can see what went wrong."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:59 AM
Official Historian

--------------------------------------------------------
The last time I got stranded was when my water broke....
--------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know you were pregnant. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode