What do you think about Good year Mtr? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What do you think about Good year Mtr?

I thought I had picked my tire, and found out the other day that they no longer make the Cooper STT, Only the St which is exactly what I have now. I have had bad luck with Good Year in the past and there Pro rating. But I noticed allot of compitition vehicles are running the Good year Mtr so what do you guys think about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What do you think about Good year Mtr?

I've got a set of 31's on my daily driver ('02 TJ) and I really like 'em. I took the DD wheelin' over Labor Day (mud, sand, some lava rocks) and they did great. Blip the throttle and they were clean. I even forgot to deflate them, so they were still at 35psi. I have less than 1K miles on them, but I've been really happy with them so far. Bret
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awesome wheeling tire, stick like glue, especially aired down to about 7 lbs. with bead locks. But, they look like they are going to wear incredibly fast if you plan on using them on a dd I would suggest BFG MTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have about 1500 miles on a set of 37's.. awesome tire... dont see any wear yet...but I know jeepgod didnt get a whole lot of miles out of his 35's...
I put 35" BFG's on the wifes jeep because its our "trip" vehicle and get most of the miles racked up on it...truth it.. she follows me up almost everywhere I go..and the BFG's last VERY well...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Old Hand

I just put on 35" mt/r's about a month ago. They ride great on the street. I didn't even have them balanced, just mounted and drove away and they drive great. I've been too busy studying to get out and wheel them, but hopefully will be breaking them in the weekend after next. If you decide to go with them and are looking at 33's or 35's, check out ebay. There is a guy that's been selling sets of 4 (brand new) for $560, for 33's or 35's. With shipping it cost me $620, which I thought was a pretty good deal.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a buddy that has 5k on his and they are wearing well. But I have a suggestion I put a set of Pro comp xtreme xtrs on my 01 ram and has 21k miles on them and have about 80 tread left and they do well offroad.

If you are going on and offroad there has to be a compromise and I think this is the best I have seen yet.
The new BFGs I have heard nothing about.

I work for a Jeep dealership and see alot of different tires and most of the guys either have a ram or a jeep and none of us run the factory tires. The worst tire for wear I have seen is the Dick Cepeks and the pro comp xtremes are the best I have seen for wear. They run a special on these quite often and it is a buy 3 get one free and free freight on top of that.

There was a article in one of the offroad mags that had nothing but great things to say about this tire. I second it I think it is awesome it is a very quiet ride too.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I am sold on the BFG tires, But I cannot spend $150 a tire.

I bought them for my wife, but that had to do with buying peace of mind.

The pro comp tires look good, but I know nothing about them. are they decent offroad? what model would be the best compromise?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:04 PM

I am not really happy with Coopers right now. I had a tire seperate and take out the fender on my Superduty. The tire was still holding air afterward.

Now I have to fight them for the cost of repairs. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:33 PM

My buddy has them on his Pathfinder and the seem to work really well on rocks (Tellico). But he doesnt do really well in the mud. They seem not to clean very well. But a tire will always be better at one than the other.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:44 PM

I have 35's on my CJ, and I love them. Off road they have been great, and on the road they are better than the 33 dueler AT's I had.

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode