D30 parts on to D44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

D30 parts on to D44

Ok, before I get yelled at, I just finished looking at 4 pages of searchs with no answers my question.
I'm shortening a Waggy D44 front to put in my CJ-5, and I'm a little short on time, what I want to do is use my D30 knuckles to keep my current steering setup. (1) will the D30 knuckles bolt up to the D44 yokes? (2) will the spindle and hubs work with the D30 knuckles? (3) do they make lockouts hubs for the Waggy's closed (non-selectable) hubs? (4) I've heard that ScoutII outer axle stub shafts will work with CJ-5's hubs and if so, what year ScoutII?
Next year I plan on SOA and high steer but for right now I would like to get the axle in, I'm getting deployed for 8 months starting Nov1.

Thanks, Keep Jeep-n

Madd Mudder, wheeling Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: D30 parts on to D44

if you can do this.. it will have to be from the steering knuckle out.. for parts you will have to use from that d30.. with a stub axle shaft from a international scout...
i would suggest doing it right the first time.. that way you are not spending un wanted money and time on some cob job to just put it in.. by running the 30 outers.. why not just run the 30 till you can get the d44 done?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:45 AM

I don't necessarily consider a complete 44 as "doing it right".
What you need depends on how you wheel. Why not a D44 with D60 outers or a complete D60?

I use the D30 outers with warn shafts on my 44 and they are plenty strong.
The disadvantage is the external locking hub but that can be remedied by using the warn internal spline hub kit but its not absolutely necessary. The D30 stub shaft is only .125 smaller than the d44 and has a higher spline count.
The mass difference of the knuckles is only slightly different and the disc brake rotor diameters are the same as the D44, plus you can use your original steering linkage and brake lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

so.. crappy hubs.. or more money into a hub upgrade? and for what? to keep your steering? and why would you want to do that... do it right and get it up out of the way.. all for the price of that hub conversion.. unless you are not rock crawling.. but everyones axles will depend on what they wheel.. and what they have for a jeep..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:57 PM

"so.. crappy hubs.. or more money into a hub upgrade? and for what? to keep your steering?"

Yes and brakes, brake hoses, wheels etc…
Like I said, your needs may not be someone else's needs. My point was that there is so "little difference in strength" that to some folks it just isn’t worth scrounging parts when the parts you need are setting on your garage floor. Especially when you don’t have the know how to find and adapt Ford rotors to Chevy or Wagoneer spindles to Wagoneer knuckles and make sure you have the right shafts. Then you must solve the steering problem. If you already know how to do it then you are a step above most but if you don’t know how to do it and you dont beat the pi$$ out of your equipment, then option 1 is very attractive.

"and why would you want to do that... do it right and get it up out of the way.. all for the price of that hub conversion.. unless you are not rock crawling.. but everyone’s axles will depend on what they wheel.. and what they have for a jeep.."

So to do it right you “must” have a D44 thru and thru????
I know a half a dozen guys that say D44’s suck and are not worth the work to install. They say if you are going to do it then go with a D60.
I say that a reasonable person would weigh what he needs with what he can afford with what he has the knowledge to build and then build it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode