Build a jeep from scratch ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Build a jeep from scratch ???

Has anyone ever built a jeep from scratch? I have a 1983 CJ7 and plan on doing a major rebuild of all components. I figure that by the time I finish I will have replaced with new, rebuilt or upgraded 95% or better all the CJ7 parts.

I plan on starting with a new matkins frame (maybe), rebuilt (swap V8)engine, upgrade most of the driveline, the suspension, the tub, the wiring, etc.

Why couldn't I just build it myself by buying all the parts? I'm sure it will be expensive, but not as much as a new 2003 jeep rubicon. After all I would be doing a lot of the labor.

O.K. Lets here your thoughts and opinions. Has anyone tried this....why not?
RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Veteran

Re: Build a jeep from scratch ???

The devils are in the details, and yes, it will cost you more than a new Rubicon. Try doing, this, get your 4wd hardware catalog, and just start figuring out all the components you need for just your windshield & wiper assembly... it is staggering how much this small part of your jeep costs if you get all the parts new.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

And if you do decide to just rebuild the whole thing keep a few parts original. I bet it'll be fun telling people the only thing original is the horn button or something like that. It will be very pricey. I've gone flipping through those catalogs just looking at upgrades I'd like to do and the price can be staggering. Maybe the frame and parts of the tub are salvagable. Whatever way you pick it'll still cost lots of money and you'll never be able to get back what you put into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:08 PM

Not to sure, but from some of the info on kit cars, I think if you build from new it has to be registered as a 2003 model. This means it must pass new smog laws.
I could be wrong though, that has happened in the past.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I started with a '83 CJ-7 that was junk from rust...frame, body, etc. I used an AFW frame, 4WD Hardware tub/fenders, replaced all steering/brake components, new suspension, urethane bushings, s.s brake lines, s.s. hinges, new wheels/tires, windshield and frame, radiator ... and on and on. About the only thing I didn't touch was the driveline. Other than fuel injection and a twin stick, the drivetrain is all stock and 160,000 miles old. I re-used my wiring harness, dash (new Auto meter gauges though) seats, and the tailgate and hood are original. I spent nearly $16,000 (I'm afraid to add up the recipts, but this is how much the large orders came to). I also painted it myself.

Think very carefully before you jump into a project this deep! I could have bought a southern (rust free) Jeep, lifted and tires and had enough left over to build my Dream car, '68 Road Runner!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you buy everything new and don't have a VIN for it then it needs to be registered as a kit car or something along those lines. If you use the VIN from an existing vehicle all you will need to do at max is have it inspected.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:53 PM

Been there,
Done that.

Click ...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:25 PM

True, it will be expensive. But, you will have a BRAND NEW CJ, completely spotless and flawlessly running for many years of service(hopefully). How many people have one of those? Anyone can go out and spend 25k+ on a new jeep, but sure as hell not a new CJ. Remember, Jeeps are bought, not built.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:45 PM

It would be cool i'd keep your current jeep or get a parts jeep to get some parts off of. As mel mentioned the little parts add up. You could steel things off of it like the wiper set up, hinges, brackets and little minor things that are really hard to find and super expensive if and when you do find them.

barrelroll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I plan on building a jeep. So far i have a YJ frame, a rolled YJ tub, any rear of my choice (good friend owns a yard), most of the front sheetmetal (think i am just missing a grill now), and i do have a 302 but just not sure if i am going to use it or not. It can be built at a good price, you just have to watch, what you spend the big money on. There is no reason to buy a makins frame when there are YJ frames out there, totatly rust free. Use a good used CJ or early YJ electrical harness or for 250 bucks buy a street rod harness. I paid 100 bucks for my frame. I paid 40 bucks for the tub, but it has some damage, not that i care since this one isnt going to be street legal, at first. You can go nuts spending money on a project, believe me i know. I just spent 150 bucks on paint for my roll cage, but it looks like it was dipped in plastic. But a jeep can be built cheaply if you watch where you spend the big money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode