Off Roading Forums banner

1983 CJ 7 engine swap ???

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Olin18 
G
#1 ·
Great board and new to this forum.
I have a 1983 CJ7, 6cyl, manual tranny. I would like to swap a V8 engine but would like to know from those who have done this, how difficult and/or expensive was this. When you read books it makes it sound simple but I want real experiences.
I am leaning toward a (1) Ford 302/351 or (2) Chevy 327/350 or (3) AMC 360. If I put a V8 engine in, what concerns do I have with other drivetrain components...any upgrades needed?
What about the frame, do I need to strenghten it?
What tranny upgrade might be needed?
What upgrades are there for the I 6 (258)? and should I just rebuild the 6? Where can I get upgrade engine parts for the I 6?
I do some moderate off road but nothing thats going to make the pages of a magazine. I use it for regular driving also. Any guidance or suggestions are appreciated.
RR

#2 ·
Hello I just finished my 5.0 swap last week. I know you will not be disappointed with any v8 swap. You will need a new transmission, the ones they put in are weak and will not put up with a healthy V8, you should also consider fuel injection for the better starts at least, compared to the 258.

#3 ·
I am in the begining stages of a V8 swap into my 4cyl YJ. You do need to get a new trans. It really is best if you can find a complete doner rig. That way you can get everything you need. Motor, trans, clutch linkage, starter, alt, wiring (if fule injected) Carb (if not FI)
Another place to reconsider is new larger axels. Stock axels and oversized tires will probably make for a bad weekend. But like anyone on this board will tell you, the V8 in a jeep is worth a little trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.