WAY OT - College Rant - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

WAY OT - College Rant

Ok, so here's the story. I am a college junior. My two best friends are in a fraternity that I have been hanging out at for 3 years now. They had a party Saturday night which I attended. I mingled, I joked, I had a good time. It was a party, people drink a little and guys make fun of each other. At least thats how I thought it goes. The next day my best friend comes up to me and tells me we need to talk. He tells me some of the guys complained to him that I was making fun of them and telling jokes. Now maybe it was the alchohol, but I don't recall making any bad jokes to anyone. I'm not saying I didn't make fun of anyone, but nothing I thought would be offensive. Apparently I am not allowed to make fun of anybody in the fraternity since I am not a member in it. Now that really peeved me off. Since when is there a bubble around somebody because of an organization they are in that says nobody outside can make fun of them? I can understand if I were making fun of their house or fraternity life in general, but I never say anything like that even when I'm sober. The guys who have a problem with me don't want me to know who they are, so I feel that whoever it is has a rod up their bum and needs to grow a pair. Does anyone agree with me on this point or am I all alone here? Personally I think its pretty hypocritical for someone to say they can make fun of anybody, but that person doesn't have the right to defend themselves. I'm done ranting now, any oppinions out there on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: WAY OT - College Rant

Welcome to the world. Ethnic groups, elitist clubs, and even organizations are like this, not to mention women.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Did they actually tell you that the you weren't allowed to make fun of the franternity?

I was (and am) a proud member of a franternity and I have found that my experience is unsual in the rewards I got being in the organization. Fraternity life must be different when the colleges are small.

My point being is that you are right in wanting to face your accuser. If it was a big enough deal that they are complaining the next day and feel it needed that they call you out on it, then it is a big enough deal to face the accuser. I'd demand to have this explained.

Now, alcohol and fraternity partieds go hand-in-hand and as the housing manager for three years, I can attest to what stupidity and alcohol can do. I'd be worried that the accuser was too drunk to remember who insult him. Get to the bottom of it. I hate to see fraternities bashed, but sometimes they do this to themselves...okay, often....

BYW, what fraternity? Maybe not list it here as they can be testy about that, but a private email.

Later,
Fritz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Don't let petty things like this get to you, brush it off.. you're in college, you have MANY more important things to worry about when you get out. I look back at some of the things I thought were BIG deals, and they were just basically petty things I shouldn't have stressed about.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just blow it off - during my whole whopping semester at ASU I got involved in a similar situation, and it was quickly forgotten. Alcohol not only makes people a little bolder, it makes some extremely brittle as well. "That's an ugly shirt" can easily become comparable to a racial slur with some folks when they're drinking. After a week or two it'll be ancient history.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:06 PM
Veteran

I say f-k them. Find new friends, they are not good for you. Think about your future now! Don't worry about looser frat boys that will be digging ditches in a few years. These guys will be only memories soon.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Extinct, they did actually tell me that I can't make fun of the fraternity. I guess its something they believe in and I respect that. I don't bash their fraternity anyways because I firmly believe in their ethics. No hazing, no secrets. They are the only fraternity on campus where anybody can attend all meetings. My college isn't that small, but its not huge either. We are about 12.5 thousand people. I am starting to brush it off, but the elite attitude that I felt I got made me a little upset. Nobody ever has the right to tell anybody else that they are better for ANY reason. Oh well, I don't plan on joining them anyways.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have to understand that frats and country clubs are created so them what belongs to the club can look down on them what doesn't. Some folks CAN'T FEEL superior unless there is a real or imagined lower class of citizen that they can point to and snicker. You'll find that a lot.....not by any means all..... of frat rats are people who are so incredibly insecure that they cannot operate without hiding in the cloak of an artificial social institution. The same goes for bum-kicking their institution. If you kick the frat, you kick them. The frat IS them, and they are the frat.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I attended a big University in the middle sixties, and what I had to look forward to upon graduation was getting killed in some crap hole in Viet Nam for NOTHING! Compared to that, the freddy thing seemed.......well,....irrelevant.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have to step back and do as Mel suggested, view this in perspective.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Addict

12,500 aint small?!?!?! try 38,000. I hate the larger schools, but thats pretty much how all the public universities here in Florida are. As for the frat boys, I say "whatever" I guess you have to cough up $$ for them to be your friends before they allow you to be their friends.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:51 AM
85Jeepny

Frats.....Nothing says friendship like buying your friends!

I probably am going to anger a lot of people with that! If people get bent about little things....leave...thats totally lame, life's short, something ALWAYS offends someone, I think everyones getting too touchy feely personally, but thats my .02, you just have to be careful of what you say around people you don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode