rear axle leak! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear axle leak!

i have an 81 Cj5, and i have recently encountered problems with my rear axle seals and bearings, so i was wondering how i can check the fluid level...

any suggestions would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear axle leak!

Um, how about pulling the plug on the diff and seeing if any fluid dribbles out, and if not, how about sticking your finger in there to see how far down it is. Oh, and how about fixing those leaking seals [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do not have some sort of manual such as a Chilton's or the like...get one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what i requested was information on how to check the fluid level, not a response from some arrogant ***** who assumes that everyone knows everything about jeeps, cause i don't, in case you didn't get that from my message. Instead of demanding i fix the seals, why not give me some helpful information on HOW, cause if i already knew, don't you think i would have done it by know? isn't that what forums are for is for getting help on things you DON'T already know?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Old Hand

What seals are leaking?

One of the first thing to do is find out exactly what seal is lekaing.. if you part in a lot of places and dont pay attention each time you may only have 1 leak but it may look like 2... find out EXACTLY what's leaking..

Make sure you are on level ground.
To check the level unscrew the fill cap on the diff. cover and if oil leaks out your good still, if it doesn't do like suggested above, put yourfinger in and angle it down to see how far down it is...

If you can reach VERY quickly just add some oil, if you have to stick your finger in there almost all the way and barely find oil then you can either 1.) Refill and see how fast it leaks out to determine if you need new seals NOW 2.) Just go ahead and drain it (unscrew the diff. cover) and replace the seals and bearings that are shot...

I reccomend a manual such as Chilton, it will show you exactly how to take parts off and work on them... the manual includes instructions as well as step-by-step instructions.. very good

Hope this helps

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx for your help todd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Uh Todd, it's an AMC 20, it doesn't have a plug in the rear cover. The plug is in the front of the housing, near the pinion.

Just follow the procedure listed before.

As to changing it, you'll have to pull the shaft, press the bearing off, get a new seal, and reverse assemble, pressing everything back on again. You have the 2 piece axles, assuming it's stock, but I have never known them to be unbolted from one another, hence the pressing on and off.

I would highly recommend a Chilton's, or maybe even a Factory service manual off Ebay. They are invaluable.

Don't take what Brad said personally, we get a lot of the same questions here, even with the first post in the lineup, titled "<font color=blue>Read Before Posting For The FIRST Time!</font color=blue>" by LEVE.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:41 PM

If I remember correctly, my model 20 had an inner and an outer seal around the axle shaft. When I upgraded I was too lazy to pull the inner seal on the drivers side. The buddy who was helping me assured me it would be okay (GRRR). Now I've got a nice leak myself. I just hope the bearing is alright. BTW, I took my old axle to a machine shop get the bearing and backing plate off and the guy running the press nearly took his foot off when it finally gave...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Old Hand

Thanks! NO wonder he was confused ;-)

Didn't mean to confuse you more... :/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yep, my old Hs buddy used the shop press to free my old axles. Dang nearly killed him when the 100 ton press finally persuaded the beast to let go!

Do what I didn't and stuff some one peice axles in there while you're there.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode