**UPDATE** Dead Jeep - any ideas? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

**UPDATE** Dead Jeep - any ideas?

OK, my Jeep's been running, albeit not well, but running. All of a sudden, it's decided it won't start. It's getting fuel, and should be firing, but it's acting like it's not getting any spark. I've replaced the coil, pickup coil, reluctor, cap, rotor, and wires, the plugs are new, so could it be the module? Is there any sure-fire way to test it? Could it be a case of "previous owner was an idiot" wiring? Anyone??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Dead Jeep - any ideas?

Do a search on this board of TeamRush's posts. He had a step by step procedure for testing ignitions to see where the failure is.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Outstanding, Thanks!![img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:03 PM

I believe there is a solenoid that controls the starter. Not sure where it is located on a CJ-5, but on the CJ 7 it is on the passenger fender. You can also have the module tested at AutoZone, or Napa. Good Luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it acting like there is no spark or is there no spark? I (and I use the term lightly) assume that if your Jeep is running then there is spark. If so I wouldn't waste time trying to diagnose a no spark problem. What is it doing, and how is it running? Could be timing, vacuum, or fuel related. Give us some more history leading up to and what you have done, and hopefully we can help out more.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To give the full background on it, I picked this Jeep up a few weeks ago. The previous owner said it hasn't ran since '97, which the vile sludge I drained from the gas tank seemed to corroborate. After changing the fuel pump and lines, fluids, etc. and throwing on a new carb, it started and ran fine - obviously in dire need of tuning, but well enough to move it around the yard, and take "nicotine runs" down to 7-11. The day before yesterday I went to move it, and it just cranked without so much as an attempt to fire. I had already replaced every ignition component except the module, so I'm guessing it's the module or in the switch/solenoid/wiring? Since it was running fine, and turned off with the key (didn't die out), I figure the timing chain and other hard parts are OK. One issue I recently found out was that my daughter had been playing in it and left the key in the "run" position for several hours before the wife heard the radio and caught it - would this fry anything?

BTW, it's been converted to a Motorcraft ignition instead of the Prestolite at some point if that would affect anything.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:59 PM

While reading your last post, something tipped me off - leaving the key on is bad news unless you happen to have the resistor wire in the ignition harness to the coil. Use a voltmeter and check the + coil wire with the key in Run. If you have the resistor wire, the voltage should be around 8.7v. If not, it should be getting a full 12v, which is bad. According to TeamRush, it only takes 20 minutes with the key on to start frying things. I'd spend the $15 and replace the module, even if your old one tests out OK. They can be flakey. If you have the $$$, take the time and upgrade to something like the MSD 6A or 6AL box. Replace the starter solenoid while you're at it, about $10.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks! I just found out about the key ordeal at the time of that post. It appears that a little ranting brings about unknown information[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. I'll pick up a module and solenoid tomorrow and let y'all know how it turned out[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It turns out that the problem was the solenoid - I went in with the plan of testing it as I replaced everything, the solenoid was the first item changed, and the mighty 304 fired after it was replaced. I went ahead and replaced the module, and picked up an extra one (and a "custom" Tupperware carrying case) to throw under the seat. I also built a series of ground straps to insure that everything has a clear ground plane (both fenders to frame, tub to frame, frame to block, and distributor to block). Anyway, after all that rambling, and some tuning, it's running like a 62,000 mile motor should - maybe even a little better. Thanks again guys for all the help![img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode