I have 2 cars, what do i do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 2 cars, what do i do?

I have a very nice 89 YJ Red, with a 4 banger (runs good) with 3 1/2 BDS lift with new 33" BFG M/T

I also have a ugly 89 Cherokee 4X4 6 Cylinder 4.0 no lift.

Should I dismatle the Cherokee, take out the drive train of the cherokee and put it in the YJ or do I keep the cherokee and lift it? Help? I kind of would like to only have one of the 2 and not both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: I have 2 cars, what do i do?

Pick the one you least like and give it to me. Then you will only have one vehicle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can i get some real help. What parts of what jeep are the best to keep? Does the Cherokee come with Dana 44? Or Dana 35 like the YJ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't everybody jump in at once now!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:46 PM

Wow, checking out your Jeep page, I would say keep the YJ. Nice! Pull the six from the Cherokee, build it up, and have it on hand if and when the 4 cylinder decides to give up the ghost. Not too familiar with Cherokee drivetrain parts, although I used to own one. I'm pretty sure the tranny is light duty, though. (Peugeot AX 15?) It was too "car like" for me (and too expensive) so I got rid of it. My CJ7 has a 258 with 167k miles and still runs strong. I have a bit of blow-by due to worn piston rings, but that's expected...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would keep the YJ, but this comes from a guy who had a Cherokee once and did no care for them much. (I also own a TJ, a YJ, and a CJ5. Yes, I am a certified Jeep-A-Holic.) I would rob the Cherokee of its motor, tranny and xcase. You will also need to swap in the radiator to cool the 4.0

You can not mate the 4.0 to the 2.5 tranny without an adaptor so you would have to take the whole thing. The other concideration to ponder is what will you get for the XJ if you sell it out right as a running vehicle? Are you better of to sell it and take the cash and put into the YJ? 33" tires is asking a lot out of the 2.5 but- Only you can make the final call.

Good Luck!
Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:22 PM

It all depends on what you really need. I'm personally partial to the Cherokee, but that's me. A drivetrain swap for the pre-91 4.0L would be a wiring nightmare though, the newer MPI system is much easier to deal with. Also, it all depends on what you have for a tranny in it. If it's an auto, its okay, but if it's a manual, depending on when in 89 it was built you may have a BA 10/5 (Pugeot), which is a really weak tranny (I went through 2 in my MJs). If it was built in the later half of 89 it will have an AX-15 though. I personally love XJs and I know I'll probably catch some SH!T for saying this, but if I had the choice between an XJ and my YJ I'd take the XJ. I also like the front supension setup in the XJ, I'm a bit partial to coils as well.....now I'll just sit back and let everyone tear me apart hahaha.

~Jay
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:23 PM

Keep the YJ. Is it really that much of a question? It looks good.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you wanted a cherokee that bad you would have sold the YJ for enough cash to buy a built up XJ already.
Stay with what you really like.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice guys, I reall apreciate your point of views. I havent made a decision yet but I am leaning mor eand mor eto keeping both I guess. (I don't kno why)
I have seen some nice XJ's with camo paint (the paint on my XJ is ruined) semy built up and they look nice too. But I just cant let go of my YJ either. (DAMN DILEMA)

So I guess I wont try to decide between the two anymore, I think what I will do is just finish one project first (YJ) ( Ford 302 with new trans and dana 44 in the rear) then do the XJ later (Lift and tires, camo paint)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:10 AM

a Dana 44 was an option on the XJ. just look at the differential cover. the D35 is a perfect out line of an oval. the D44 cover is not even close to symmetric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode