AMC 20 problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:49 AM
JeepJohn

AMC 20 problems

My problem is that on last mon I was driving and heard BANG Well in the diff the spider gears are held in plase with the cross shaft. That cross shaft has 2 C-clips. one is not on there any more.
#1 question. where can I find just those C-clips?? Can it be just any C-clip or are they special I can't upgrade from the trash lock right now and WILL NOT pay 150 for new trash lock gears.
#2 question is having the rear up and rotating the tires (both going the same way) the tire moves freely about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way around and then the rear binds up to the point of almost having to force the tires to get them to turn :teary: why would it do that?? also on the pinion gear there is one part of a tooth that broak off. the rest of the gear teeth look ok. I THINK I'm just trying to get an Idea on what I should look at doing.

If the main bearings were tightened down and not all torqued to the same amount would that cause it to bind only in a certian spot??
Any help is appriciated TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: AMC 20 problems

out of the few amc20s ive torn apart, Ive never seen one with c clips on the center pin?

all the ones ive had had a single roll pin holding that center pin in place.

from teh broken pinion gear, depending on what portion is broken, you MIGHT be able to limp it along, or you might need a complete gear set, and re set up done.

Id take it to someone with the knowledge and tools to set up ring and pinion gears, and get an estimate.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Official Historian

Ozark is right, there are no c-clips on the AMC 20. The axle is retained by the bearing retainer plate on the end of the tube. Why not get an open carrier and later, a lockright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The binding is probably that chipped tooth in the bearing, doesn't sound good. There should be no binding anywhere.

You sure you have an AMC 20? They never had C-clips, as others have mentioned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:02 AM
JeepJohn

yep I have an AMC 20. I never thought they had c-clips either but if you look in any of the cataloges you will see what looks to be 2 c-clips in the track lock spider gears.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:06 AM
JeepJohn

Will, the c-clip is not holding the axle in. The c clip holds the cross shaft in position inside the diff, without the clips the cross shaft can move out and contact the side gears, that was the other noise I heard.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds to me you have bearing problems and other problems. I dont have a pic of the trac loc put if you say there is a clip missing then the pinion must have picked it up and broke the tooth off then the pieces of the tooth and that clip are now in your bearings and you have a bad bearing and that is the bind you feel. Its time for a rebuild. You may be able to jury rig it, but how, when, and where will it let go totally.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:25 AM
JeepJohn

I think a rebuild is inorder too, but the wife is gonna kill me. If the R&P was not installed correctly that would have caused this?

Out of curiosity what is an average for a R&P and ARB install??? I'm just trying to get some ideas. I know in diferent areas the cost is diferent
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

At work we get 250 to 350 for a install setup. With an arb it will be more because of all the air line work.

You keep asking question about different things. What all has been done with this rear. It sounds like you just setup the gears and you think you did them wrong. Give us the whole story it may help figure out what is wrong.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:52 AM
JeepJohn

No I dodn't do it a mecanic friend of my wife's family did it. I know I'm asking lotts of Q's but I'm trying to figure out everything. I'm sorry if I have been vauge on any thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode