4.0L Conv. gone awry $$$ NOT MY FAULT! (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:28 AM
85Jeepny

4.0L Conv. gone awry $$$ NOT MY FAULT! (long)

VENT VENT....Ok, still not starting, I took it into a good shop called Off-Road Dynamics in Berthoud, we thought bad CPS (pretty common) so I went to get a test CPS from a good salvage yard, I couldn't find one that matched the size of the one I have in the bellhousing (Novak machined my T-5 bellhousing for the 4.0L conversion) It appeared the CPS that Novak used (the brackets) were shorter than ANYTHING I could find even from the dealer, I called Novak, they told me the part number 94 cherokee/4.0L, nope...brackets don't work still, finally went back to the shop, we took off the sensor and double checked, looked a little harder and....

BLAM!!!!! They cut one side of the CPS adapter down to fit on the spot the machined...(see a problem here?)

So now we know what the big problem is ALL ALONG! The spot that they machined for the CPS is in the wrong position, that's why they had to cut the CPS bracket down to fit!!!! Since the 4.0L gets its timing from flywheel (which only goes 1 way) it has to read the notches in the flywheel...(designates TDC) These notches cause the CPS to trigger and sync. up with the Camsensor in the Dist....

Since the position of the CPS was off, it can't read & sync. up with the dist., therefore NO SPARK...

Now I spent quite a lot of money trying to fix this issue and have to spend more to move the CPS to the harmonic-balancer....$420 on Hesco harness...though wiring was bad, $70 on new sensor, 1.5 hrs labor at 1 shop, 3 hours at another shop, endless downtime and now the price to move it to the front!!!!

Sorry to vent but I still have a no starting Jeep, now a worthless bellhousing and a bunch of extra money into it because someone has incorrectly machined a part. I'm contacting them today to see what Novak can do to help rectify this situation, at least I would think I could get my money back????

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 4.0L Conv. gone awry $$$ NOT MY FAULT! (long)

if they screwed up the machining they did and cut a sensor in half, they should refund your money on the work they performed. If it was their work that was defective they should give you a refnd.

kerryp
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

They should refund your money if it doesn't work.

Sorry to hear that it still isn't running yet. I'm about to start my 4.0 swap soon. Did you consider the Hesco kit to relocate this sensor to the crank pulley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm having a boat load of problems with mine too. I can get it to run, but after about 60 miles of driving the fuel pressure drops down to about 8 lbs and the motor dies. I've replaced all the fuel filters atleast twice, and the pump once. I can run low speads after it dies, but if I try to go faster than 45 mph it does it again!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tippy - Are you running the correct pump? I mean the correct pressure pump for the MPI? Just a thought, rhe MPI needs a fairly high (50'ish) PSI.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:06 PM
mindbender

I really don't want to hear the bad news about the conversion.

This coming weekend I will try and start the converted CJ. I ended up using the factory harness and wired in the Power Distribution Center. When I think of how many factors were altered and therefore how many things can be wrong - it is daunting.

Last weekend, I lopped off the Transmission Control Unit. As best as I can tell it does not do much other than provide electronic guidance for the tranny. Yes the park/neutral switch and a cruise circuit goes through it, but those appear to be spiced into other circuits as well. So - chop, chop. The same goes for the cruise circuits and a number of other circuits. The diagnostic connector that goes inside the cab had several circuits from the tranny control unit - chop, chop. So this weekend - I'll try it with a prayer and few alternatives.

What did you folks do with the kick-down cable if you retained the 999 tranny, particularly hooking it up to the tranny?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

tippy- Do you have the gas tank vented correctly? It sounds like it starts to try to draw a vacuum on the tank as gas is used up and air cann't get into the tank fast enough to replace it. I believe that you should have a vent line from the tank to the charcoal cannister on the firewall. This is just something to check.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:54 AM
85Jeepny

I talked with them on the phone and they were very helpful, we did move it to the front and it started so the problem is solved. Novak said that would do whatever to make it right and were very helpful, they wanted to make sure everything was OK so that could fix this problem if it ever occurs again. Eric is very nice and willing to help.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

85Jeepny- Glad to hear that you got it solved. I'll probably be in need of alot of information in the next couple of weeks as I pickup my 4.0 on the 28th of this month.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

HESCO has a kit that you can use to connect the trany to the throttle body. It moves a little cam and as the throttle body opens up, it moves the kick down linkage on the transmission. It probably is the same as on the Wranglers w/ automatics. I've thought about not using it and just shifting down manually.

I don't think I have a vent problem, because I can remove the gas cap and I don't hear any air sucking in. Also this doesn't fix the problem when I do it. Also the pump is correct, I've tried Mopar performace and AC Delco's part number and both of them do the same thing. Does anybody have a pic or schematic of the roll over protection and the vent valve at the back of the CJ? Just incase they are broke or hosed inccorectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode