Kudos to Rock Gear Inc! (Semi-OT) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Kudos to Rock Gear Inc! (Semi-OT)

A few weeks ago I had ordered one of Rock Gear's FullBack tops for my CJ-7. I went with them for a few reasons, one being that their top is cheaper than a Bestop Supertop, the other reasons are pure functionality of the top - it folds up into a long Bikini, and the sides and windows are stored in the bikini portion.

When I went to install the top, I found that they hadn't included the side rails in the hardware kit. Minor setback - I called them up and Bob at RG promptly sent out a set of rails two day air at no charge to me. Then, when I installed the rails yesterday, I found that the top had no snaps attached to it! I wrote an e-mail to Bob asking how we could remedy the situation. I spoke with him on the phone this morning, and he said that he would be shipping me out a brand new top today, snaps and all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Once I get the new top, I will put the first one back into the box and return it to them, postage paid by RG.

I can't say enough for Rock Gear's (and Bob's) exceptional customer service. They handled both matters quickly and without argument. I'm extremely satisifed with the craftsmanship of the top itself, it's very well made, and is both functional and good looking.

Once again, kudos to Rock Gear for handling the situation perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Kudos to Rock Gear Inc! (Semi-OT)

That's not OT I like hearing about places that have good service. They are much better to deal with than some places that just don't seem to care.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:54 AM

can you post some pics and comments on the top ... I've thought they looked cool, and had fleeting thoughts of buying one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:58 AM
Official Historian

$719 for a full top with 2 piece doors? Isn't the supertop only $678 from 4wd hardware? Even if you take the $40 off for the stock roll bar (I think that is what they were describing), it's the same price. Is the quality, fitment and noise that much better?

I have no experience with either. I just have a hard top and hard doors. Most of the year I run a bikini top. I would like a soft top but just can't justify spending that much on something I'll only use a few times a year.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Minus the doors - I had Bestop soft doors from my old top that I'm using. Their rear support bars are for CJs and early Wranglers without the "family cage" in the rear. I paid about $440 shipped for the top with support bars.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

When I get the new top from them installed, I'll post pics and details.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:17 PM

I guess you look at a company different than me. It may be the time we live in where customer service is non-existent most of the time. I personally would be pretty upset having to call about missing parts, even if they were nice and sent them to me right away. I would never buy anything from them. I want everything I pay for to be in the box and be right.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

It's not that I wasn't upset, but what can you do about it except be courteous to them and hopefully they'll remedy the situation to your liking. Every company makes mistakes, there's no way to avoid it. Two mistakes on the same order, well that's pushing it, but they still pulled through in the end. The upside to all this is that they are a fairly small company, and actually care about their existing AND potential customers.

On the flipside, I had ordered a steering box brace from Rusty's 4x4 a couple years ago. It took three weeks to get it, when I called looking for a tracking number they were unable to provide one for me due to shabby recordskeeping. A month or so after I installed it, the brace broke where the tube was flattened (where it connects to the hardware on the box). I called them and asked about a warranty - they said that since it was obviously a material or workmanship defect, they'd send a new one out. I waited about two weeks for the new one, and when it still hadn't arrived I called again. They claimed that they didn't have any records of me ordering stuff from them, and that I was SOL (in those exact words). I wound up welding the brace back together. My buddy had ordered some suspension parts from them, and they really messed up the order. To make a long story short, he went through the same thing that I did. Never again will I buy from them or recommend their products to others.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:25 PM
BMF

Alllockedup,
What about driving at highway speeds with it down? I wanted to buy a top from them for my cj7 about two years ago, I think they were new back then, but decided against it because everything I read kinda implied it wasn't designed for highway speeds. If it'll handle that and they end up making one for a scrambler I think I'll get one.
Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I haven't driven with it at all. Originally, the top was just designed as a big bikini top for protection from quick rainstorms. It developed into a full fledged top, so I'm assuming highway speeds are no problem. It fit tighter than my Bestop ever did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode