best way to comfortably fit 31" tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

best way to comfortably fit 31\" tires

alright well i decided i want to spend as little money as possible on my jeep. so what kind of lift could I get to run 31's? body lifts are kinda gay, but looks like a 1 or 2 inch kit clears 31's and has no other problems. or can i get like lift springs that give an inch or two? or how about shackles, i hear they arent great though. what about a combination of any of those? or a shackle reversal that gives lift? i just wanna run 31's that wont rub but dont wanna spend big bucks on a lift. a cheap 2.5" suspension lift might work also. just looking for input, thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:04 AM

Re: best way to comfortably fit 31\" tires

31X10.50-15s fit on my stock CJ7 without serious problems. The sidewalls sometimes rub the inside of the rear fenderwell when the axel is dropped on one side and raised on the other, and the front sidewalls will rub the springs at full steering lock. Neither condition is of any concern, and neither would be cured by a lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:17 AM

On a YJ your going to need to get a shackle lift front and rear. They dont look nearly as bad as a body lift would, and 31" tires will fit nicely. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd also suggest a mild shackle lift and a mild body lift, the two in conjunction will be cheap and will give you the lift you desire, without affecting handling.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had YJs with both a 2" shackle lift and a 2 1/2 spring lift. By far, the spring lift is the best option. (Also the most expensive) The shackle lift was not very stable with 31" tires. I found it some what uncomforatable to drive at higher speeds. However, the same 31" tires with a ProComp 2 1/2" lift is a very stable ride.

If you can afford it, go for the springs!

Kriss
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a shackle lift front and back and you'll be fine. My 31's rubbed the flares slighty at stock height but nothing too major. With a 1 and 1/4 shackle lift they don't rub at all. Of course there was only very light off-roading done with this set-up so keep that in mind.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

what if got those new Bushwacker cut-out fender flares? then could I run 31x10.50's on the trail without rubbing? thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was in the same shoes as you, wanted to run 31's but didn't have a ton of cash to throw at the jeep at the time. My solution have worked great. I used a set of Rancho ad-a-leafs and picked up over 2 inches of lift for like $120 bucks. Little more expensive than a body lift (that looks like crap any way), and about the same as a shackle lift. Keep in mind that you will have to replace the rear shocks as well. They aren't long enough to reattach after you lift it. Sure the ride is a little rougher, but I have been extremely pleased with the results. I can walk through things that I wouldn't have even attempted before the lift. Of course a nice set of swampers helped!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been lead to believe that 31x10.50's will fit on a stock YJ as well as a TJ... how much $ are you lookin at for a 1 or 2" lift? and who makes the best... or should i say best for your buck lift out there? i am looking to get 31's prolly after the winter passes, but i hate to lift my jeep, then again i need the tire highth. links are appreciated! thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:01 AM
thejunker

You can run 31's with no lift.... just gotta cut out the wheel wells a bit. They may rub in inside of the well, but probally not enough to bother.

If you are going to get new flares, it is probally cheaper to get a small lift, as most flares I have seen run upwards of $200. Otherwise, just cut out the wells, and use lawn edging for the flares (the ultimate cheap route)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode