Suitable rear axle questions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suitable rear axle questions??

My '90 four popper YJ is approaching her next build date. The next buildup mandates 33/13.50 Swampers and some more aggressive gears. I have also been looking at the Klune-V underdrive or an AX-15 to replace my tall-geared AX-5. I can get a Ford 9-inch from a '68 Mustang for about $150. Anyone know the spline count on this model 9"? My other option is a free 8.8 that needs to be rebuilt. I trust a competent local shop to do the internal shimming, preloading and such. Keeping the anemic 4 banger, will the 8.8 hold up under medium-duty rockcrawling? I have a bit of a lead foot. Or with only 33's and 105 ft-lbs, is the 9" overkill? I also plan on stuffing the front with Superior TJ guts, CTM u-joints, and Warn hubs with hub fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Suitable rear axle questions??

You may want to get that mustang 9in then sell it. The mustang 9in is getting hard to find. Also make sure it is a 9in. Most Mustangs came with a 8in. Looks just like a 9in just a bit smaller. I believe the mustang 9in is 28 spline with the small bearings. But i could be wrong. The last one i built was about 6 months ago. I wont go into the 8.8 cause i dont like them. But alot of people are running them with out any problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

With nothing more than the 4 cyl I don't think that you have too much to worry about, and any axel that you pick will hold up just fine.

There was an artical in JP Mag not to long ago that went into putting a underdrive in a 4 cyl Jeep. It was a great artical, but it opened my eyes to how hard that mod is. Not just a simple bolt on. But the results are unreal. Like a brand new better Jeep. Well worth it if you spend time in the rocks I would say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:29 PM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>Anyone know the spline count on this model 9"?</font color=blue>

28 splines on the 9" is correct.

<font color=blue>I have also been looking at the Klune-V underdrive or an AX-15 to replace my tall-geared AX-5.</font color=blue>

Um, the AX-15 has a 3.83:1 first gear, the AX-5 you have now has a 2.93"1 first, so it's lower. A Klune-V is in a whole different world, and its also BIG $$$$.

<font color=blue>My other option is a free 8.8 that needs to be rebuilt.</font color=blue>

Do some research on this axle, parts for it are quite expensive, epsecially the brakes. I doub't you'd be able to break it with the 4 cyl, but it may be very costly to build it up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Old Hand

You can get a brand new Ford 8.8 for under $500... that's complete disc. to disc...

With a 4cyl and 33s I can't see you breaking this axle on medium rock crawling trips...

H8Monday ran this axle (8.8) with 37s and a engine alot larger than yours and it took him 3 years to bust it..

I am installing this axle (8.8) on my 94 YJ with the i6, and It will be runnin 35x12.5 tires with an ARB...

I think the 8.8 for you would be FINE and GREAT for RockCrawling.. if that's what you do with 33s ;-)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

keep your stock axles. and install 4.56s or 4.88s don't bother with the ford 9" it's to much $$$ and to much trouble for your 4 banger to deal with. Unless your are looking into a future engine upgrade, I6 or V8 then you might look into replacing the whole driveline.

my preference is from an old box bronco. the axles will just about bolt in (dana 44 front and 9" rear) the 4 speed is strong as hell and a dana 20 or 300 transfercase is just about bulletproof.
an old box can be found for under a grand if you look hard enough.

good luck, and remember what ever doesn't kill it make's it stronger.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

New for under $500. I'm going to call you on it and ask that you post where I can find one, right here on this BBS. Used they go for more than that. I havce been listening to a few people say the same thing, but have yet to find the secret location, and everyone I have talked to says the same thing. Are we not being given our secret decoder rings?

H8, elusive, or Brad, did you guys get one and not tell the rest of us?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Old Hand

I believe h8 does not have his 8.8 anymore, however he said he ran it for about 3 years...

I can give you the place to buy them... I got mine for $425 + Truck Freight

The price depends on the gears / posi options too.. I got the cheapest since I am putting an ARB/4.88s in.. but you can get what you like..

They are all complete, and have disc brakes..

Here You Go:

Jim Leonard Ariel Performance Products
1-800-291-6719

Tell him Todd sent you.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:14 PM

Am I missing something here? Does this price not include gears? How wide are these axles? I tried to call the #, but it was busy.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Old Hand

The price includes gears, they are 5/8 shorter on each side. I think they changed phone numbers, that # should give you the new number... Here's the # on my invoice: 405-943-7040 and 405-943-7078

Hope that helps ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode