H8: Clutch master cylinder?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

H8: Clutch master cylinder??

Hey Jeff do you run a ford truck master cylinder? that is what I run and I need to see how you ran yours next to the brake booster and on the inside where you hooked in into the pedal, I know it will be different than a cj but it has to be close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:46 PM

Re: H8: Clutch master cylinder??

Yup, I run a Ford master cylinder and slave cylinder.
It was really a pretty easy fabrication, and it has worked great since I 1st installed the 5.0.
The fabrication sounds harder than it is, and pics would be very helpfull, but my digi cam is being borrowed.
In any case here goes my attempt to explain it.
I bought an 86 F250 Master cylinder, and an 86 F150 Slave cylinder.
The master cylinder need to be moved about 1 1/4" outward from the stock location, and down about 1"(to clear the brake master, and its firewall bracketry).
To do this, I had to move the YJ fuse box, and bulk head connectors over about 1 1/2". It was easy enough, I just enlarged the hole where they were located, to where I needed it to sit.
With the stock slave cylinder removed and the hole widened enough to move the fuse box, I simple fabbed up a piece of 1/8 steel plate to cover the area of the old and new locations, then cut out a new hole for the fuse box and connectors, and used a hole saw to drill a hole for the new Ford master. to secure the new sheet of steel to the firewall, I used a combination of rivets in some places, and new and existing bolts in all the logical locations.
The cab side of the fabrication also needs to have some of the clutch bracketry ground away with a side grinder to make enough room for the linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder push rod. I extended the stock clutch linkage at the pedal about 1 1/2", by using a piece 3/4" round stock, and had a freind turn down one side to the same diameter as the stock linkage, and drilled out the other side to slide over the stock linkage. I drilled a hole through the new and old piece while it was assembled and put a cotter pin through the two pieces.
Thats about all there is to it, I hope its understandable.
The clutch has the full, and very familiar stroke, of every other Ford I have owned and driven in my life. It has about a 1/4" of free play before beginning engagement, which I like because I can lightly ride my foot on the clutch, on steep obstacles, without inadvertently slipping the clutch.
The slave cylinder, is a push type, and is attached to the bell housing with the standard F150 bracketry.
The only problem I had, was that the Ford issue hydraulic line from master to slave is made of plastic and has inheirant bends in it, that made it impossible to route the line safely away from my headers. I solved this by taking my melted line down to an industrial hydraulic hose shop, and had them weld the stock ends onto 4' of stainless line(with a 90 degree bend on the slave cylinder end). Once I was satisfied with the new line through thorough testing, I took my other line(that was used to replace the 1st melted line),and I had them fab me up an identical spare. I am happy to say that I have never had to use the spare yet.

Thats about all I can think of.
Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff, I think I understand everything except one issue: The pedal assembly, you say that you extended the rod that the pushrod attaches to on the pedal. so that the eye of the pushrod is about 1.5 inches further away towards the fuse block. if this is so I though of this but didnt think the pedal and that attachment piont would put up with that kind of sideload. But if it works fine for you than I will give that a try, also currently that same plastic line actually works for me. Other than that thank you for talking me into the 5.0 out of a mustang. I have put about 200 miles on this 5.0 setup and it is awsome, the hiway power alone is worth it. It is nice to keep up with traffic finally. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:27 AM

I have absolutely no problems with extended linkage on the pedal assembly.
The guys at Z and M conversions explained to me, a couple of years ago, what I just explained to you. They said at the time that it was holding up very well as a durable modification.
In the past year or so, I have also given the same info to a dozen or so other fabricators, in various stages of the 5.0 swap, and I havent had anyone contact me with bad results.
I think its safe to say that its a reliable, standard modification for a 5.0 with a manual tranny swap at this point.
Im glad you like the 5.0.
I cant imagine an engine with better overall characteristics, as far as performance on and off road, cost, reliabilty, and physical wheight and dimensions, for a Jeep.
One thing you will really appreciate if you do long trail runs, is the awsome fuel economy on the trail.
We drove around all day long a couple of weeks ago on the Rubicon. I was just BS'n with everyone, while Kathy was getting some time behind the wheel. When we made camp at Buck Island, late in the afternoon, a group of rigs stopped by our camp and needed "a couple minutes" of air compressor time to drill out some broken buggy leafs. Well after about 15 minutes, and a half dozen bits, they were a bit more than halfway done. One of the guys, apparently feeling guilty for me keeping the throttle control at about 1400 rpms for thier air tools, offered to give me the gas in one of his 6 gallon cans. I said sure, and when we were finished working on their rig. he brought over a full can and I went to pour the whole thing into rig, but I topped out about 5 gallons.
Not bad for a V8,(its the ability to easily maintain a 600 rpm idle, in any gear, with almost no use of the throttle).
Good luck with the ongoing refinements, and testing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Well I will go to work tonight and make the part and start working on it this week. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode