drivetrain problems solved?*UPDATE>>BAD*** - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

drivetrain problems solved?*UPDATE>>BAD***

a little history... i have had a bad clunk clunk clunk under acceleration for the past couple weeks. yesterday I pulled out all the u-joints, the rear of my atlas, everything I could think of that wasnt incredibly difficult. it was as bad as ever...
today I bit the bullet and started pulling the more difficult things... the clunk was there no matter what unless the transfer case was in nuetral... so I pulled the transfer case, and completely dissassembled it.. I would not usually recommend this, though it was just like a dana 300 or np 205 inside. anyway.. as you can see... the problem was not in the transfer case..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 889861-P9150005.jpg (61.4 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: drivetrain problems solved?

soooo... . now its time to bite the bullet and pull the HEAVY nv 4500. the dixie run is in 2 weeks and just like usual, my jeep is compltetely torn apart... i dont tear the tranny apart like I did the atlas, instead i give a "function check" and make sure nothing is loose or binding or generally bad...everything seemed perfect.
sorry its a crappy pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 889867-P9150009.jpg (57.2 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

now what????
well....all that... and i reach in and pull this throw out bearing out... $22 is a cheap fix, but $50 worth of that special tranny fluid for the NV 4500 spilled out when I had that pig on my gut trying to get it back in...
all that for a broken throw-out bearing... I have never seen one break before..wear out and make lots of noises..yes... seize up.. yes... but not break..
anyway... I sure hope this is the problem.. theres almost nothing else it could be.. I'm not unhappy.. I like to know how my stuff works... that.. and I pulled the x-fer case out today, rebuilt it, pulled the tranny out, ran and got a new bearing, installed the bearing, installed the tranny, installed the x-fer case.. all thats left is suspension and driveshafts.. should be driving tomorrow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 889872-P9150010.jpg (57.7 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

So maybe I wasn't the only victim on Daniel that night?[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Glad you found something cheap broken...as opposed to something in that goldplated driveline. See you on the mountain!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Chris my dad had a throwout bearing break on his old volvo diesel. It drove him nuts. It did the same clunk, clunk you said. He thought it was the rear since the car only had 250,000 on it. After checking that, then moving up the driveline that is where we ended up also. The funny part is we put the orginal clutch back in, with the new throwout bearing, and he sold the car with 300,000 miles. I still see the guy that bought it once and awhile drive by my shop. I cant believe it is still moving.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:59 PM

Well I learned something-man those Atlas case are built tough. Those are some monster gears in there. Never seem the guts of one. Thanks!! Really though it was work that had to be done. Gotta pull most of that stuff for a tob anyway and at least the peace of mind is worth something.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:43 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Wow, I have never heard of that either. Nor have I seen the inside of the Atlas, thanks. Is that plate for a PTO or is it just an inspection cover?

Special fluid for the NV4500? Never heard of that either. Boy, this thread has been a wonderful learning experience. Then again, it's all high $$$ stuff and I'm a cheap/broke bastid, so I probably shouldn't know about any of it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: drivetrain problems solved?**UPDATE BAD**

bad news.. got it all back together today... and nothing changed.
pulled the rear diff cover and the ring gear has half the teeth missing.
this ring gear is a reverse cut 5.38 set thats been cut down a bit to fit in the high-clearance diff.... just custom enough to keep me from going to the dixie run.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:02 PM

Man that sux Chris. I hate to say it but you should be happy. Do you remember complaining that it was the jeep that wouldn't break? Well now you did it.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I guess you can cal it "yours" now.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
(all in fun)
But for real............is there any warranty on those $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ axles? Or how much are they going to hose you on them?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Old Hand

Man, that sucks sorry to here that!

Let us know how much your going to have to fork over for a new one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode