front brakes on my CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

front brakes on my CJ5

hey all. i tried to put a new brake bleeder valve in where the PO had jammed a metric bolt(front pass. wheel), and found out my hole was stripped. i figure, well, hey, ill just get 2 new wheel cylnders... well, i get them, but they arent right, the holes dont line up. i start checking, and the back brakes have the same bolt holes as the ones i bought. so my front and rear brakes dont have the same wheel cylinder. they are also set up differently (back has starwheel adjuster, front has weird little round cam things, and of course, backing plate). the auto store ABC and AutoZone both show that the ones on the back are correct, and should fit everywhere. well, so this means that either their computers are wrong, which does happen, or my jeep brakes/backing plate/ axle has been replaced. so my question is, on a 74 CJ5, are all 4 brakes supposed to be that same, and also, what the heck do i have? the "correct" wheel cylinder has 2 bolts on the top, horizontal to each other. mine has 2 bolts diagonal across the bigger hole. i have pics if anyone is confused by all of this. when i figure how to get them on this computer, ill post em. thanks a bunch, sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Re: front brakes on my CJ5

here are the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 889720-Dscf0020.jpg (39.4 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:33 PM

The wheel cylinders are different left to right and front to back. NAPA lists 4 separate units for your application, LF, RF, LR, RR, all different part numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:41 PM

All four are diffenent. Try Napa. That's where I had to get mine for my '74....that or try to scare up some later model dana 30 outers and brakes and just go to discs.....*grin*....THAT is in my plan as soon as I get a few other things done.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:10 PM
47WillysCJ2A

I recently ran into a similar problem on my Willys that PO converted to 11" brakes. Wheel cylinders for the rear had a diagonal bolt pattern. New wheel cylinders from NAPA were $63 a piece but I found some for a CJ5 that were the same with a horizontal bolt pattern and redrilled the backing plates for $12 a piece. The fronts bolted right in but the brake hoses wouldn't clear the knuckle. I ended up redrilling the front backing plates and installing the cylinders upside down with a little modification and it all has come together great.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Official Historian

If you installed the cylinders upside down with the bleeder screw on the bottom, how did you get them bled? I had a problem with a spongy brake when I got my jeep. A couple years later I found out the PO put a drivers caliper on the passenger side. The bleeder was at the bottom and that's why I couldn't get the air bubble out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode