Help with 97 TJ 2'' Lift PLEASE!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help with 97 TJ 2\'\' Lift PLEASE!!

I have a 97 jeep wrangler tj. I would like to put a 2" suspension lift to it to get a little more clearance while off-roading and for the looks aspect. I would like opinions and ideas of what type/brand of suspension lift kit to purchase. I would say that i ride about 95% pavement and 5% dirt so i am looking for more of a "smooth riding" kit rather that hard-core offroading suspenison. However, i would like a fair compromise between the two. Thank you and please get back to me asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help with 97 TJ 2\'\' Lift PLEASE!!

you can always get a coil spacer lift....cheap, gives a lil lift and tires clearance, while retaining stock-like ride
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Kindly fill out your profile[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

To get your feet wet do as Greg suggested and get a spacer lift. You can fit 33" tires easily with just that. You can't flex much ..but they fit. You can also add a 1" body and motor mount lift if you want more clearance. Get the "kit" with the shocks ..the stock shocks are not long enough even with just 1 3/4" that the spacers provide ...and although you can get the spacers seperate ...and wothwhile shock will cost you more than the ones provided in the kits (they may in fact be cheapo ...but they are the right length).

This should keep you happy for a while until you determine your budget limit for this distraction[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Virtually any spacer kit works. You're looking at around $200 +/- with spacers, bump stops, and shocks). A body lift can run between $60 - $120 depending on manufacturer ...and motor mount spacers can be had for $45 ..or extended motor mounts for around $80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:42 PM

It depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy new 2 inch lift springs for $300, or go cheap and just get spacers. If you are wiling to put alot more down, I would go with the Rancho Rockcrawler 2 1/2" suspension. I purchased mine for about $880 at the local 4-wheel drive store. It comes with everything but shocks, even a new front trac bar and a rear relocator bracket. It was very easy to install and has given me no problems. Its rides great on the road and is superb off-road. Rancho says that it can run 33X12.5 on the stock TJ wheels, but I have heard that 32X11.5 run alot better and dont rub. I currently run this kit with a 3 inch body and 2 inch spacers with 36X14.5 Swampers and can ramp over 1000 on a 27 degree ramp.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:58 PM

Dude fill out your profile and read the 1st post post at the top of the 1st page by leve. the reason why i bring up the profile is beacuse i have a 2" spacer lift that's comming off my jeep soon and you could posably buy it if you are local and ride in my jeep to see how you like the ride.

I have a 2" trail master complete with their cheep shocks and i don't mind it. It's a little firmer than stock though i don't get as much body roll as it was stock (i don't run sway bars and didn't run them stock either). It flexs fine wheeling. I can flex to the poin where my 32" swamper will be locked up on the front fender and instead of the tire rolling it will just skid. It won't rub on a ramp but on the trail it does it all the time. If you don' care about rubbing or just plan on running 31's and mild trails you should be fine. One thing i've figured out form wheeling and reading posts is some rubbing isn't a bad thing and trimming is sometimes the better option. You see people with 8" of lift and 36's, reason they went with that much lift, so they wouldn't have rubbing or people with 32's and 4"-6" of lift, reason why: so it wouldn't rub. It isn't that bad of a thing if it does, deal with it. I think i'm going to remove my fenders to get rid of the rubbing (idea: new project for tomrow) since it's hurting trail performance and so i can fit 36's one day.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you all for helping me on my quest to fina a 2" lift. I e=really appreciate all of the info that has been given to me and if u check, i filled out my profile =). I am now considering the Runicon Express 2" lift that comes with spring spacers and shocks. I hear Rubicon has an excellent reputation so hopufuly they wont let me down! I am installing them myself too so that should be worlds of fun =). Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode