YJ / CJ dash external defrost duct for conversion? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

YJ / CJ dash external defrost duct for conversion?

I've looked at all the old posts about using a CJ dash on a YJ tub and the need to cut the tub and windshield frame to make it defrost like a cj.

Anyone come up with a way to have a flat dash and a defroster, but not duct it thru the windshield frame?

I have no problem with cutting holes in the YJ frame, but it seems to me the yj had a superior system, why duct heat thru a narrow metal frame exposed to the -60 windchill? Heat loss, rust problems, etc lead me to ask for a better answer. Anyone come up with some hybrid solution? Can you cut the ducting out of a YJ dash and use it with a flat cj dash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: YJ / CJ dash external defrost duct for convers

I haven't built it yet but I plan on it in the next few weeks.... I am going to use one of the plates like they sell to deflect air out of ducts in the house that come up under furniture (or you see on some fresh air intakes on jeep cowls. I am going to cut rectangular holes in the dash near the frame and fashion some of these deflectors out of metal or plastic..... I just bought a flex-a-lite heater too so we will se how it works...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: YJ / CJ dash external defrost duct for conversion?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I've looked at all the old posts about using a CJ dash on a YJ tub and the need to cut the tub and windshield frame to make it defrost like a cj.

<hr></blockquote>
I may have misread your post, but if you are using a YJ tub and CJ windshield frame, they you only need to cut the YJ tub, not the CJ frame.

All you have to do is cut two holes in the top of the cowling where the windshield frame rest to allow the defroster air to come up through. Then just simply mount the original plastic defroster duct tubing from the CJ to the underside of the cowling so that it directs the air through the holes. It's actually quite simple to do. I set the plastic duct thingy upside down on top of the cowling traced around it with a grease pencil and used that as a guide of where to cut the holes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I have a minty YJ windshield frame I'd like to use as well when I replace my cj tub with a yj. My cj windshield frame is nearing the end of it's useful life due to rust. Probably will end up doing it just like factory Cj, but I'm exploring other options that allow me to avoid ducting the heat thru the windshield frame.

Hoping someone had pioneered some external ductwork that doesnt' look too goofy. The yj windshield frame has a large opening in it on the drivers side that sure won't be filled by the cj plastic plugs. Would hate to see the nice windshield frame that came with my tub go to waste.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 08:20 PM

Any luck yet? I plan on fabbing a custom flat dash once I get to that point. I was thinking a triangular outshoot from the dash for the defroster, so it would not be a true flat dash. I'm still looking for ideas though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 10:25 PM

I too am dealing with this same thing. YJ tub (replacing the rusted CJ) and I picked up a new YJ windshield, but the defroster issue has stumped me. There is also a large cut-out on the inside of the YJ windshield. Has anyone found a solution to patch that up? Sound like we are all dealing with the some of the same issue on the swap. Has anyone found a creative solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode