. . . . . Build Axles Up? or Buy Them? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

. . . . . Build Axles Up? or Buy Them?

OK, I know I'll get railed for even posting such a question but here goes.

My stock 82 CJ axles (open diff, 2.72, stock shafts) don't cut it anymore. I am going to get new axles and do it right the first time, none of this piece meal stuff over time. I am planning D44 front and rear.

Front: High pinion, 35 spline Warn alloy shafts, CTM joints, 4.10 gears, Ox locker, rotated knuckles, high clearance steering (flat top knuckle), Warn HD hubs.

Rear: high pinion, 33 spline alloy shafts, 4.10's, full float with Warn HD hubs (flat tow), disc brakes, Ox locker.

The way I see it, I have 2 options to do these axles:

1) Buy a used axle, buy the upgrades (full float kit, ox lockers, etc), and have a local shop do the work (much of the axles stuff internal I am not capable of doing)? Shop work includes shortening, rotating knuckes, new seals, bearings, setting it all up internally, etc.

2) Buy the axles whole and complete from a place like Drivetrain direct?

By the time I add up the cost of all the stuff I want in the axles, the only difference it seems is the housing cost. What do you think? Would I really save much money by starting with a used axle and going from there? Is it worth it? Tell me your experience with a similar setup. I plan 35's in the future. I know it's $$, but I plan on only doing this once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Old Hand

Re: . . . . . Build Axles Up? or Buy Them?

Hi, before you choose a locker please read:
http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthrea...o=0&fpart=

As far as pre-built or build-up... you WILL save money in a build up, but you will save headache with pre-built...

Now instead of spending $$ on a d44 and upgrading it to hell for the rear why not get a Ford 8.8 and run it stock until you break something (with 33's or 35's) it will HOLD UP GREAT. It's 31 spline, and warn makes a FF kit for it too... but for 33's and 35's it "SHOULD" hold-up great unless you have a huge motor and a heavy foot...

I believe h8monday was running the ford 8.8 for along time in his rig with 36s and it lasted 3 years then it broke.. but he also competes with it..

Here's a link to the Ford8.8 discusscion recently:
http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthrea...o=0&fpart=

As far as the front goes.. I`m in the same delima as you 'build up' myself or 'pre-built'... if you are going pre-built for the front I suggest Currie HighPinion 9" for the front... stronger than the d44 and with the 8.8 in the rear u can go up to 37's safely..

Now you say you want 4.10s... and you want lockers front and rear which sounds like your going to be doing some serious wheeling and or rock crawling.. I would not reccomend 4.10 for crawling with 35's.. not even sure about 33's... I would say go with 4.56 or 4.88's... that's if your going to wheel it which it sounds like you are since your going to spend over $1,000 on lockers..

I myself am getting a Ford 8.8 put in the rear of my jeep with 4.88's and an ARB. I run 35" tires and this is my Daily Driver.

What are you doing for driveshafts?

I hope that helped you some..

-Todd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:39 PM
sas87yj

what's the CJ width? narrower than a YJ/TJ right? will the 8.8 work on a CJ?

<a target="_blank" href=http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html>http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Old Hand

Ya CJ is narrow...

I don't see why it wouldn't work.. you would gain a wider stance as well...

Sas: How do you like your 8.8? What's you got done/in it, and what motor you turning it with? Oh, and tire size?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Official Historian

The only thing with the 8.8 is you'll have to get an adapter to go from 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" wheel pattern.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How wide are TJ axles from mount face to mount face?

Fritz
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:20 PM
BMB
Veteran

TJ F/R 60"
CJ R Wide 54.5" R Narrow 50.5"
CJ F Wide 56" F Narrow 53"
8.8 58"?
Isuzu D44 58"

BMB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The main reason I chose D44 is because I really want the Ox-locker. I know some may disagree with me, but this is what I want (yes I have read the arguments). If there was an Ox-locker for the 9", I would be doing that instead no question.

I need 4.10's because I have a 999 tranny, and I still plan on driving it regularly, especially the 1.25 hour drive highway to the dunes (hopefully many weekends).

My wheeling is mostly dunes, with occasional planned trips to Moab and Rubicon. With lockers, etc, I know it sounds like overkill, but I only want to do this once, and not have to get new axles in 5 years if (when) I get bigger tires and wheel harder. Lockers make a huge difference in the sand!

Thanks for the input! Although I am still torn, to have them built, I save only a few 100$.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Is the YJ axel lenght the same as the TJ? And what about the Waggie length, anyone have that info?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

toddw:

For driveshafts I plan on going with stardard type (not CV) with little bit longer splines and HD wall stock. The HD and long spline is a minimal added cost when buying the whole shaft. My dshafts are looking very ratty (dented, no balance weights, wrong length for my setup) and still have the strap type ujoint holders).

When I do 35's, I will keep minimal lift(2.5" spring, 1" shackle, 1" body, and cutout bushwacker flares for CJ), so I should keep a decent angle, and not need CV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode