Where can I get dana 44 axle "freeze plugs"? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I get dana 44 axle \"freeze plugs\"?

Jeepers,
I've got a narrow track dana 44 from a commando, where can I get the slim 1.3 inch "freeze plugs" to seal up the hole in the axle flange? These can be removed to get to the backing plate bolts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Where can I get dana 44 axle \"freeze plugs\"?

um... I have never seen a plug in that hole. what for??? I know my 2000 tj's rear d-44 didnt have them from the factory...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the idea behind them was to keep crap out of the drums... I don't think I'd worry too much about them. If you are running lots of mud it will get in the drums with or with out those little plugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Official Historian

First, welcome to the board.
Second, thanks for filling out your profile.
Third, who convinced you that that hole is supposed to be plugged? There has never been a plug in that hole. Once the drum is on, the hole is covered by the drum.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Im glad i wasnt the only one wondering what you are talking about. I have done alot of rear work and never once have i seen a plug there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:37 PM

I had to get 1 3/8" plugs and use a die grinder to get them to the correct size to fit. Pain in the behind, but it works. According to the PO the rear axles had never been out of it before I got it (judging by some of what I found, I believe it) and the plugs were in the flanges when I tore it down. The size is odd as you noted and I had to adapt as noted above to get them to work. They probably AREN'T nessecary, but you can get some mud and water past it even with the tire and brake drum on I figure I'll keep them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Official Historian

You'll get way more water/dirt in through the 1/8" gap in between the drum and backing plate than you will through the miniscule gap between the drum and flange.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doesn't anyone have these plugs in their dana shafts? Each shaft has a plug in the flange which I presume is there to allow the use of a socket wrench to take off the 6 backing plate bolts. My haynes book said knock 'em out. The plug was pretty much like a freeze plug but pretty thin metal. Even with the brake drum intalled, there is now a large half moon hole allowing the elements to get to the brakes. It's a big hole. I thought I'd get replacements from 4wd or quadratec but they don't list them. I suppose I could have used a box end wrench to remove the backing plate nuts but it's too late now.
Thanks for the welcome by the way
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:11 PM
BMB
Veteran

If I understand what you are saying, they are what I have heard called courtesy holes. If you look at Superior one piece axles for AMC 20s they have them in the flange. It is for access to the backing plate bolts. If this is what you are talking about I don't see how dirt etc can enter, because the drum face will cover the hole when it is put back on and I'd think the rim would cover most of the drum face. This hole isn't in the backing plate itself is it?

BMB
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:40 AM

BMB is right. I have them on my 1973 44. It is there to allow straight access to the bolts. The drum does not cover the entire hole. I lost mine also and don't know where to find them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode