Transfer Case Shifter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Transfer Case Shifter

I have a 2000 TJ and shifting into 4-wheel low has been becoming a pain. Sometimes it takes me two or three tries to get it engaged, and sometimes it engages fine, but im tired of fooling with it. I have no t-case lowering kit, but I do have a body lift and I think that maybe part of the problem. Im pretty sure that it needs to be longer, but I dont know if there is a part for this. Does anybody have the same problem, or know the fix? Also it seems to do better engaging when im on level ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Transfer Case Shifter

From what I have heard, the shifter assembly bolts to the body on a TJ. Your body lift and a little flex could be causing the shifter to bind. There is a kit that relocates the bracket to the T-case. Hope this helps...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:03 AM

my tj is really moody and usually i have to put it in nuteral with a person in the drivers seat pulling the shifter lever to 4 low and then bang it into 4 low with a pipe. I tried replacing some bushings but that didn't do much. I think i'm going to have to adjust my linkage or get one of those mounts that moves if off the body since i bet my body is tweaked and i know my skid plate is tweaked.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 03:54 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, I noticed that the shifters are weird.

I got to use 4low yesterday backing the portable forge up a steep grassy hill. It didn't want to go into 4low at all, and when it did, I felt like it wanted back out!

Since the TJ is a no trail vehicle for a while (CJ will fill that void once done), I'm not too concerned, but why make the simple task so hard. My D20 shifted great, is this progress?

Fritz
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Aside from posting on this site, I searched the web today and I think I found the answer to my problem. Skyjacker makes a new shifter bracket that doesnt attach to the body and is suppose to work in all angles. Its $52.95 for an Auto and $70.50 for a manual. Athough im not big on Skyjacker, we will see how it works cause im ordering mine tommorow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have made a couple of these brackets....not hard... you can also do a little grinding on the stock one to make it work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:03 PM

I only have a 1 3/4 inch spacer lift and a 1 inch body lift. It was bad enough with just the spacers, but when I put the body lift on, it flat refused to go into 4-low (and I REFUSE to bang it with a pipe...I'll fix the problem, not cause new ones).

I bought the Skyjacker kit (the version for my 5-spd) and threw it in. Near as I can figure, the difference between the auto and manual versions is NOT the transfer case shifter bracket itself, but the additional bracket that comes with it as a new mount to hook the tranny to the "Skyjacker High Clearance Skidplate." Since I don't have one, and probably won't get one (hoping to make mine) the additional bracket is up on the shelf.

In other words, I coulda saved $20, bought the "auto" version, and been in the same position. I love the bracket...it shifts much micer than even a stock TJ. No more binding, no more bitching, no more popping-out of 4-Lo.

It is nice and sturdy, nothing at all to put in, though you do need to cut, lengthen, and reweld the shifter linkage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode