351 swap in a CJ question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

351 swap in a CJ question

OK, I've searched the BBS looking for some info on a 351 swap but haven't had much luck. I was offered a very good deal on a 92 or 93 351 out of a Ford Van I believe. Has the wiring harness and the computer along with all of the components. I assume it would have the same motor mounts and bellhousing pattern as the 5.0. But the guy said the intake is alot taller than on a 5.0, which is why he isn't using it in his car. My question is if anyone has any knowledge on this matter. Does a 5.0 sit low enough that the same block with a taller intake on top would also fit under the hood?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 03:44 PM

Re: 351 swap in a CJ question

H8Monday has a 5.0 in his Jeep. You may want to send him a private message and maybe he'll provide some insight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 06:20 PM

The truck and van EFI intakes sit much higher than the 5.0. However I have been told that the 5.0 EFI upper intake will fit on the 5.8 lower. I have not been able to verify this yet though.
You can also buy a 351 lower and upper from a variety of different sources (Edelbrock, etc) that is similar to the stock 5.0. Its how the mustang guys get the EFI 351's under their hoods. Your looking at probably $400-$500 new. I have seen many used ones for sale on the mustang sites though.
I would get the engine...the current EFI intake might just fit under the hood. I have quite a bit of space between my intake and the hood.
Short of that its pretty much exactly the same as a 5.0 swap would be. I'm planning an EFI 351 swap for my Cherokee when the 360 dies. Starting to gather parts now...even though its probably more than a year away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:14 PM

The 5.8 block is almost an inch taller than a 5.0. The fuel injection you use should be off a mustang if you plan on using the mustang 351 intake. That van setup is damn tall but what the hell go for it and if it doesnt fit throw a edelbrock intake and a holley 650 and run it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode