4wd Hardware lift kit for CJ.... bad bad bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

4wd Hardware lift kit for CJ.... bad bad bad

A good friend of ours just spent several hours installing a "4wd Hardware" 2 1/2" spring lift kit on a friend of theirs '78 CJ5. They bought the 4wd Hardware shackles with the springs.

First off, the springs are about 2" too short, now the shackles are pointed in towards the gas tank. Secondly, their military wrap rubs into the center bolt of the shakle (THEIR SHACKLE) when they called 4wd Hardware they said that they shoud CUT OFF the miltary wrap to make the spring fit, and really didnt have much to say about how short the springs are.

Needless to say, our friends are VERY UPSET that they spent this morning for nothing, they are going to take the springs off & return them to 4wd Hardware Monday morning. Our friends have 2 CJ5's and 2 CJ7's (both with lifts) & are always working on peoples jeeps.... 4wd Hardware's quality, service & pricing has gone down the toilet. (with the exception of their body tubs, which are good) The only reason why anybody around here is getting anything from them is because they are 45 minutes away.

-Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:53 PM
47WillysCJ2A

Re: 4wd Hardware lift kit for CJ.... bad bad bad

I bought a Superlift 2 1/2 kit from J.C. Whitney and the only problem that I had was they originally sent the wrong lift. They sent one for a CJ5 once that was corrected it went on with no problems. I have to give a hats off to both JC Whitney and especially Superlift for their willingness to make it right. There was a little confusion getting it straight since the parts were shipped from Superlift and purchased from JC Whitney but I got a great deal and great service and I will definately do business with both again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have bought a few things from JC whitney and have been happy too!!! I have no complaints with them at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would tell your friends to see if they would change it out for an Old man emu kit. I just put one on a Jeep this past weekend they are great! We put it on my buddies jeep and went wheelin and man you want to talk about great articulation... I think just from what I saw they articulate more than alot of 4" kits.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Isn't that a BDS suspension? Does it have the same warrenty?

Fritz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:25 PM

Mel,
You may try posting this on the Jeeps Unlimited CJ board and see what kind of response you get. 4WD Hardware supposedly owns that BBS now and it would be interesting to see how they respond.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:41 AM

I'll second the JU-CJ forum thing. Not sure about ownership, but there's a guy over there CJSixer who works there and has been genreally pretty helpful.

Can't comment on CJ5 stuff from BDS/4wd hardware, but I CAN tell you that my BDS lift from BDS was dead on and is a NICE product...

Good luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I dunno about the BDS, are BDS springs made in canada,? They said they were stamped "made in canada" on them. When they took them back the folks said "someone should have told you that our shackles don't work with our lift kits" - well, that is BS, the kit was also deficient of some hardware. They had no answer as to why they are so short.

They returned it for a refund, he was going to buy a skyjacker lift right then & there if they would give them a decent discount (considering the # of man hours they had with the springs), but they wouldn't give them any more than 5%, so they told 4wd to stick it & they ordered the kit from Quadratec. As far as OME, yeah, they are great but very expensive & you have to convert it to accept YJ springs, too much more $$ than the guy had to drop on his springs (the owner is only 19 y/o).

They don't care, and I won't buy from them any longer unless I am desperate & need the part TODAY, can't get it from the local parts store & then I'll drive over there. Its just too bad, they used to be good before they sold to the holding company.

-Mel

-Mel
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you may want to look at it this way: when things are mass produced and then you order them from a large company such as 4wd hardware, there are going to be frequent errors, now customer service should kick in there, and I have had bead experiences with them as well as several bad experiences with Performance Products. I have had friends who have had parts problems with superlifts before, I would have to say that they have an outstanding customer service department, that company stands behind there product! I, myself have had 2 pro-comp lifts now and have never had any problems with them... i have talked to a few reps from pro-comp at some jamborees and they seem to be pretty strong too. i don't know if i actually just said anything helpful or not, but i do know this for sure and will hold true with most any large company with a customer service department: the more you complain... the more you will get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode