Off Roading Forums banner

Ignition gurus ?

339 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  unhumen 
#1 ·
HI all ,1980 CJ 258 TR upgrade ,including the TFI coil,
The problem I posted a while ago about has come back to haunt me
Driving along ,everything fine ,the engine will cut out, no sputtering like running out of gas.....fuel filter changed..... It just dies as in lack of power..
1 If you push the clutch in it stays shut off and needs restarting ...
2 If you leave the clutch in, or depress and let it out, It will restart itself just like jump starting it...
I took the distributer apart and tightened the ground screw inside there and checked for any obvious problems,like frayed wires or anything,put it back together and it ran fine till last weekend when it did it again. Now it seems worse.so could it be ? without replacing everything...
Bad coil
bad coil wire
module going
sensor assembly in the dist.
something else I may be overlooking?

#4 ·
replace the module, its easy, and its cheap.

also, try disconnecting the clutch switch. its sounds like the clutch switch is getting a bit crusty and just doesnt want to play that silly game anymore.

mine never had that 'problem' of having to push in the clutch to start. doesnt bother me, but then again, i am the only one that drives it.

#5 ·
Well today I replaced the module with a MSD I had sitting on my shelf ...the module was just replaced before I got the MSD so I just put it on the side,for the rainy day that just arrived...I thought I had this problem fixed a few weeks ago when I tightened the grounding screw in the distributor,and it went away for a few weeks...so weather this is the actual problem or not remains to be seen.
I thought it might be the pickup sensor unit in the distributor itself going bad...this is a Remanufactured Distributor only a few months old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.