i hate going to junkyards... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i hate going to junkyards...

well yesterday.. we take a trip to a not so local junkyard to pick up a TF-727 for my wagoneer... and it turns out he didnt have one.. but another branch of his did.. and that one was back in my local town.. so the guy hooks me up with the price.. $125.. so im thinkin what a decent deal.. and i picked up two of them..
think ill try running an automatic in my beast next year..
i also found a factory cd/cass/am/fm radio for my tow rig.. for $90.. since i bought two transmissions from them.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]..

i also found a freshly rebuilt 401 for $2000.. which my friend is thinkin about getting...

why is it everytime i go to a junkyard my wallet gets lighter.. and my pickup gets heavier?......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Re: i hate going to junkyards...

Good buys on the trans and radio. The CD's are pretty hard to find and usually go for way more than that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have the same problem.. usually its like this.. i need a gas cap... while walking out to the jeeps, I see a nice F-250 front reverse rotation d-44...mmm... gotta have it...then i see a rear narrow 14 bolt with 4.56 gears... man thats a nice axle...and only $300!...crap...whatws that?? a hemi cuda about to get crushed???? a ford scripted MB??? a saturn overdrive???
I am probably the only rock crawler besides jeepgod whithin 200 miles, so theres LOTS of good stuff here.....though this stuff above is a slight exaggeration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 02:43 PM
utahjeepr

The junkyards around here kind of blow. Nothing stays for more than 30 days they may strip off a few items before they crush the rest but finding "gems" is hard due to the traffic and the turnover of inventory. Mostly all late model stuff.

I miss the boneyards of Utah and the South. I could walk around in those for days. It's almost like those old cars and trucks want to tell you the story of their lives before they pass.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:39 PM

I haven't been to any here in RI yet, but my experience in central to northern NJ was, NOT GOOD. The few places I did visit were overcharging.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
47WillysCJ2A

The junkyards here pretty much blow too. The clubs (4X4 and Car) have buddies that work at them so when ever anything good comes in they get first crack at it. It is next to impossible to find anything good around here and if you are lucky enough to find anything the price is usually high because they know what it's worth and charge acordingly.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Pat- which waggy you puttin a tranny in? Did the old tan tank bite the dust?

Jackie
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:44 PM

Jackie, the drunken bum is here so he can come and talk to ya LOL...he was takin advantage of a Squadron fishing trip with Elusive...go figure, more government funding wasted so WE can have a good time...gotta love it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

yep... the tan tank bit the dust.. nothin but 2nd worked.. i sold it to a friend of mine.. since he drove it while i was over seas.. he liked it so much he wanted to buy it..

well we got the other tranny in it this week.. works great.. next thing on his choppin block is a lift and tires.. then he is pullin the engine.. for a rebuild.. and while that is going on he is going to paint it forest green.. and put the tan panelling on the sides.. wants me to weld him up a roof rack.. and some bumpers..
ill have him bring it buy when its done.. should only be a couple of months till he is finished.. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Official Historian

If this is for a waggy, my brother made an inexpensive rack for his. He bought some standoffs for the gutters and bolted some 2" pipe he painted black across them. He uses his to carry his bike so he just drilled the pipe for the hardware to mount the bike to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode