cj7-chevy350. fuel prob. stuttering// sorta long. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

cj7-chevy350. fuel prob. stuttering// sorta long.

last summer this jeep started sputtering as if it were running out of gas.surge and fall back..over and over until it stalled. I dropped the tank and the fuel filter in the tank was rotten. i changed it and it worked fine. this summer we changed out the oem 20gal tank with a new composite tank 21gal. i chhanged the entire in tank unit with a new one, including the filter. tonight, i started her up for the first time since i put the new tank on. she idled for about 5 minutes, i drove about a mile and it started this stuttering problem again. it stalled and i couldnt get it started. it sounded like i had no gas.my guage read empty..i put gas in it. 20 gallons. she would start.held the gas..pumped the gas. etc..all of a sudden nada..no nothing..the lites work, stereo etc.. the batt show 12 volts..then about 3 minutes later she starts after a little bit of trying. I drove about 1/4 mile and the stuttering came bcak again. mind you im doing 50 ..i pull off and she stalls. i cant start it. trys but doesnt kick over. then dead again. zipp. for a few minutes. i got it stated again and rode the clutch and heavy on the go to about 4500 rpms...i creeped for about 3 hundred yards.. died again. no nothing. a fw more minutes go by before there is power. i cuss the 7 and kick the tire. bam she starts and purrs like it should. i drove the 3/4 mile trip home in 4th..about 60.. she ran fine. hoses are unkinked. Fuel pump? would the started be a problem as well..not hot starting..? i haven't any idea. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 06:46 AM

Re: cj7-chevy350. fuel prob. stuttering// sorta long.

Sounds like vapor lock to me. Injected or carbureted? Mech. or elec. fuel pump? Have you changed out the in line fuel filter?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 07:46 AM
Way Outta Control

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i had no gas.my guage read empty

<hr></blockquote>1. My guess... it's electrical.
2. Check your ignition module.
3. Check your grounds.
4. Please ID if it's a fuel injected engine or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GM ignition modules are bad about heating up and stalling your motor. When they cool down it will start and run again. Had a guy show me that when I was about 16 and I was trying to get home by curfew. He pulled my module off and stuck it in a cup of ice for about five minutes. Put it back on and I made it home.. Could also be like said above, vapor lock, inline filter or grounds.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:43 AM
FrenchJeeper

Hello...

First thing i would check is the fuel pump, especially if it is a mech one...I don't know much about CJ but it is a problem i had on an YJ a few years ago, started fine, runned a few miles, began to miss and nothing, cooled down and back to the first item!!!
Good luck, hope it will help
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You did not mention if this was a HEI distributor or points.. coil could get hot and open also. You did not do a no no and try splicing into your AMC igniton module to run distributor?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

the engine is carbed. the fuel pump i believe is mechanical. the jeep isn't here anymore. i towed it back to my brother house.
this morning i had my brother start 'er up. it zoomed to life, no problem. i took of the air cleaner and throttled the gas at the carb. both primary's fired gas fromt he ports...for a brief second. the drivers side then stopped spraying gas. the passenger side still sprayed gas. BUT..the pass side would then become intermittant. i could feel the engine shudder... as for the ignition..i didnt look. sorry. i havent put much time into looking at his jeep. mine keeps me busy enough. his jeep ran fine for the first year he bought it before these problems started, so i would assume that the igniton/ditributor set up is correct. hmmmm.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 11:23 AM

sounds like a fuel pump, not able to keep up with the demand from the carb (or a plugged filter) there is enough gas to start and idle, but rev it up and the float bowl runs dry. Might try a pump and/or filter and go from there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: cj7-chevy350. fuel prob. [smile] updated

Ok. today i started the jeep with an aux. fuel tank, (portable)intake hose right to the fuel pump.so. its not the carb, its elsewhere. the sender is brand new, the steel lines are original. How can i test the system now? Can i test the fuel pump? blocked lines? how do i test the lines? sheesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode