9/11 thread side note - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

9/11 thread side note

When that 9/11 post got into veterans and military service, I got to thinking about my own for my reply. I had spent almost all of my tour of duty at McDill AFB, Tampa, FL. I lived in a barracks room most of that time with two roommates.

The post got me to thinking about my roomies and I thought I'd take one more shot at trying to find them. I'd been trying unsuccessfully, off and on, for 10 years. I have been out of touch with both of them for over 33 years. One had a very common name so he was hard to find and the other being military and because of moving around a lot, was just as hard to find.

Well, this time I found one and called him. When his wife answered the phone and heard my name, she immediately knew who it was. She said the same thing I told you, "There's only one of those in the world." It turned out that they had been looking for me too but couldn't remember how to spell my last name.

Maybe I'll get out to see them. Might just take the Jeep on a road trip rather than fly. They're in Phoenix and I flew out there to drive my ex-wife back one time during a reconciliation period so I know the way back anyway. I figure I can reverse the route to get out there.

Finding the one led to finding the other since they had married two sisters. The one I found was still married, the other was divorced 32 years ago when he came back from 'nam but there was a child from the failed marriage which was of course the nephew of the one I found. I'll call the other in the morning.

So, even though I was critical of the thread, something good came out of it for me anyway. Just thought I'd let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:34 PM

Re: 9/11 thread side note

Glad to here it.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] While we didn't see eye to eye it doesn't matter. We're all human. Different each and every one. Nothing wrong with that. Very cool story BTW and I'm glad you shared. (it would be very cool to see some old buddys after all these years after enduring some of the most trying times of your life togather)
Let us know how the story ends.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Definately tell us how it ends. Its always cool to hear stories like that. I'm not quite old enough to have lost contact with good friends for very long, but there are a few that I would like to get ahold of to see how they are doing. Congrats on the find, and any excuse for a road trip is a good excuse, but I can't think of a better reason to go cross-country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 03:10 AM

Right Awn, Taz !
Fill up the gas tank on your CJ, throw a bag of clothes, in the back and take that road trip.
Best of wishes on the reunion with your old buddy.
Alot of time has past and the world has chnaged much since the last time you sat and shot the sh!t together. Ill bet it will be a very interesting reaquaintance.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

I phoned the one in New York this morning. He answered the phone and I recognized the voice but still I asked, "Is this ------."

He replied, "Speaking."

I asked, "Alias Cool Hand Luke?"

It took him by surprise for a minute, but he remembered. It had to do with an incident when he was on his first date with the girl he married. They were at a drive-in and his hands were cold from the Coke he was drinking. You can fill in the rest. The movie had just come out at the time so she tagged him with the name.

Anyway, all three of us are in good shape. No health problems other than all three of us are on medication for slightly elevated blood pressure. I'm probably the worst being type 2 diabetic even though it's under control. With all of us in our mid-fifties, I was a bit concerned as to what I might find.

Both of them asked if I still had my MGA that we used to run around Tampa in. It got left down there years ago. All three of us remembered intricate details about things from as much as 35 years ago like they had happened last week.

Maybe we'll all get together for a reunion some day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode