Ox or ARB - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Ox or ARB

As of now I have a Detroit in the rear of my TJ and Im looking to put a locker in the front. I dont know whether toget an Ox or an ARB. I have heard +/- about both but Im leaning toward Ox. Id like to get the opinions of people who run them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:06 PM

Re: Ox or ARB

I don't run Oxes (yet) however everyone in my club that has the money and has gotten to that stage of their build-up runs them. The guys that designed them are in our club. These things are tough. I highly recommend them. They are completely machined from one piece of metal and the original patent was for a tractor locker. Just my .02 I think you would be happier with them.

Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast

I just went through the same decision process, except for I'm getting both, fron and rear. First I leaned towards OXs, but was talked out of them for reasons of them sometimes being hard to adjust, locker disengaging when the suspension flexes.
Another deciding factor for me was the price. OXs were $700 and $750, I got ARBs for $565 each. Plus, I already have an OBA, so I don't have to get ARB compressor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 07:50 AM
Way Outta Control

Here's 8Monday's comments:

There is a current post regarding either the ARB or OX as your selectable locker of choice.
OX is aware of my opinion of their locker and it seems that I have been locked out of that post, and can not post any opinion or response.
So, I must post my reply in a seperate post until Off-Road.Com restores my priveledge of posting my opinion, on what is supposed to be an open BBS.
In any case if this is OX's attempt to lock out my opinion of their locker, while they post supposed average Joe questions, to actually advertise thier product, then I will at least make my opinion available to anyone who wants to listen to it.
My less than stellar opinion of the OX locker, really stems more from there approach of marketing the product, rather than the product itself.
The OX has been known to have actuator problems from the start, by most anyone who has seen them being used on the trail. However, rather than focus on solving the problem they just denied that there were any problems for the last year,..now they have a new actuator, tha supposedly solves the problem that never existed.
The next thing that is irritating is the remarks and adds that they are all billet or CNC'd from solid stock components, I have been told by my gear guru that in fact they use stock D44 spider gears in the diff assembly. Sure the cover is all shiny and impressive, but what about the actual strength of the locker?...Who knows, they are not being tested in competitions or even openly by by hard charging trail drivers putting the units to the test. The product that they like to be compared to is the ARB, which is currently being used by a large,.. very large percentage of drivers trying to make money competing with their rigs. How can they compare themselves to ARB when the locker is not even the choice of locker by even one competitor that I know of in the country, and we are talking about teams that are not even considering cost in their choice, only performance and reliability. The fact is that the slow and unreliable engagemnet characteristics of the OX is the reason that they are not popular with performance oriented drivers.
Now they are going after the CTM market, they have not even put one joint on the market or in in competition, but they are advertising in every off road rag across the country that they are the strongest U joint system on the market.
Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying that they have a product that is up to competition levels, or that competition testing is absolutely neccessary to produce a strong and reliable product,(but it cant hurt to test at the level of of stress), but if they want to compare themselves to other companies that are testing at those levels, than they need to test right along side with them.
In short, my money is on the on the ARB (which is cheaper) as is hundreds of competition rigs across the country, and also with CTM for the overwhelming success they have proved in competitions and on trails across the nation, and under the most grueling conditions.
Im always looking for better performance, and stronger more durrable products, so if OX ever does anything that convinces me that they arent just another snake oil salesman giving lip service, then I will be the 1st to say "nice product", and in fact I more than likely be giving them my money.
Just my opinion.

Jeffery Huelsman (Proud American)
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)

Here's Jeepernaut's comments:

H8...that is a fantastically fair reply. Not sure what the deal is with orcbbs I think they are censoring us to ensure only what they want heard is heard. I tried to make a critical post of them a while back and it never posted!

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

See alot of my buddies run ARB's so I know that they work well. But I liked the new idea of the Ox. The main problem that I had heard of is that the cable would sometimes not engage or dis-engage wen flexing, but then they were suppose to fix that. But nobody I know runs them, so I wanted more opinions. From wat I have gathered and what my friends tell me Ill probably go with ARB. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode