**DONOTDELETE**

Help Quadratrac ?????

Sorry if this question sounds basic but I am new to
Jeeps and I am just getting my feet wet when it comes
to working on my own vehicles. I have the following
questions/problems with a Jeep I just bought and would
appreciate any feedback. I have also done a seach on
Quadratrac and have found some helpfull info but I
need a little more detail on the following questions.

Fist off it is a 1977 mostly stock CJ7, 304, auto,
quadratrac with front locking hubs.

1.When I have front hubs unlocked and the emergency
switch in the glovebox turned to the off position the
vehicle acts like it is in neutral. Why is this?

2.When I have the front hubs unlocked and the emergency
switch in the ON position, it drives fine. I have read
that I should only lock one hub when I do this, why is
that?

3.When I have the Hubs LOCKED and the emergency switch
off it seems to be in neutral once again.?????

4.When I have the Hubs LOCKED and the emergency switch on
it seems to work fine but I get a LOUD CLUNK sound
coming from the transfer case every once in awhile? Is
my chain slipping? If so why would it not make that
sound when the hubs are unlocked and in 2wd mode?

If anyone can explain how the whole emergency switch and
locking hubs thing works I would appreciate it.

Also if there are any Jeepers in the Detroit, Michigan area
that would like to take a newbie under there wing email me
at [email protected] and maybe we can meet up and
do some off roading.

Thanks
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Official Historian

Re: Help Quadratrac ?????

The quadratrac transfer case does not have a rear wheel drive mode, only all wheel drive. To do this without breaking anything, it has a differential in the transfer case between the front and rear outputs.

1. If working correctly, it's because your front driveshaft is spinning because the hubs are unlocked and the transfer case differential is unlocked.

2. This is as close as this transfer case gets to 2wd if stock. The differential in the transfer case is locked sending power to both driveshafts. The reason to lock one front hub is just so you don't get one front axle shaft spinning and one not which will wear out the front differential spider gears.

3. I suspect you have a problem with one of your front hubs not locking. To check this, put your bumper against a tree or something in case it takes off. Unlock the transfer case. Lock your hubs. Put it in drive and look under to see if your front driveshaft is spinning. If it is, look to see which axle shaft is spinning by looking next to the front tires.

4. Not sure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

Will, If he has a bad hub, the entire frontend shouldn't drive at all....right? If he puts it against a tree and one hub is bad (not locking) won't all the "power" be transfered to that wheel making nether spin? Unless he has a locker....right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Official Historian

Right, Dave. That's what I'm wanting him to find out. I just said to put it against a tree in case it's an intermittent problem so he won't be chasing it down the road when he gets out to look.

You can still buy the drive flanges from quadratec to replace the locking hubs for about $45 each. I have a set still but will keep them for spares incase I blow a locking hub and for planned trips I'll just use those instead of the locking hubs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 02:19 PM
SPRUCE

I had something like that. A bunch of klunking noise and the jeep did not move well with the e-drive unlocked. When tearing apart the t-case I found out that in the cone clutch differential unit the cross pin for the spider gears broke. There was also a new chain in that case which went bad because a piece from one of the spider gears followed the chain around the gear breaking one of the chain links.

I'm not sure, but when the e-drive is engaged I don't think the spiders gears are used when the gear is turning.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just sold a rig similar to yours. stock quadratracks do not have locking hubs. when you unlock the hubs the differential in your transfer case sends all the power to the axle with the least resistance, the front. you don't move. with the emergency drive off the differential in the transfer case acts just like an open diff in a rear end. with the emergency drive on a vacumn switch locks that differential and sends power to both axles. in normal operation lock in your hubs and leave the emergency off that will duplicate stock operation . as far as the popping check your transfer case fluid . it may be low you know quadratracks take a special fluid. as i remember it's around 7 bucks a quart. my best advice is get a manual. also the chains stretch and need to be replaced. it's not hard to do . i did mine with the help of an old 4wheel& off road article cost under 200 bucks for parts hope this helps someone may have converted the t-case to part-time too. that would explain the locking hubs as i think that locks the t-case diff permanently after reading your questions again i would be about 99% sure some one has converted your t- case to part-time mode i think miemarker is the outfit that makes those the clunk is probably the chain slipping
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Official Historian

that would explain the locking hubs as i think that locks the t-case diff permanently after reading your questions again i would be about 99% sure some one has converted your t- case to part-time mode i think miemarker is the outfit that makes those the clunk is probably the chain slipping
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it obviously has NOT been changed to part time or it would move with the emergency drive off.

The reason why I have locking hubs is because I have a locker in the front axle and it has terrible torque steer when in full-time mode. For that reason, I lock the transfer case and unlock the hubs for street driving.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:06 PM
Old Hand

A large number of ' 77 quadratracs had defective chains. ( sub-contractor problem). They ( '77 was the worst) usually stretched early on in their lives, and were evident by a loud bang on acceleration...the worse the chain, the lighter the throttle necessary to make the noise. JEEP dealers had a gauge ( tool) used to measure the amount of stretch. ( Not sure if we still have one here anymore. ) Quadra-trac fluid is still available from JEEP dealers and there is NO substitute. Special procedure for break in required after fluid changes in order to prevent damage to the bevel cones. ( figure 8's in large parking lot). Locking hubs were not available from JEEP when vehicle was equipped with Quadra-trac. Modern day dealers may confuse your Q/T with that used on the ' 96> ZJ's ---not the same at all and fluids are different. Also ensure that nobody has reversed the vacuum lines on the emergency switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode