At Home air compressor (cheap) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

At Home air compressor (cheap)

Last night I started my compressor project. My objective is to have a protable air tank that I can fill tires with and maybe use air tools at home. I am going to use a 5-10gal tank, and the air will come from an old refrigerator compressor mounted with the tank. The whole thing will have wheels so I can move it around.

Has anyone ever done this befor, I am wondering what the fridg compressor is up to, as far as PSI? Anyone know. I am also wondering about a relay. Something to turn the thing on when it needs air and turn it off when full? Their pretty easy to find for 12V anyone know of a system for 110V AC? If I can't find one I will just use a hand switch and a blow off valve. I have always wanted an air tank and I am finally going through with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: At Home air compressor (cheap)

A fellow at work used to(retired) make these and gave me a couple. Wiring was just through the start up capacitor and an on-off switch. A moderate sized a/c compressor can get to 100 psi. He used to use the old refridgerant tanks for comp. air storage @ 100 psi. I would look at a Grangers cat. for a pressure cut off switch. You can also use the intake(always with a filter) as a vacuum source. He said if you move it around give it a couple of minuites sitting still for the oil to settle before you use it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The granger catalog. Exellent Idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I even have one right here in my office.
A small A/C unit good for 100PSI. The little compressor I am using is from a small aprt fridge, I bet they are close to the same. 100Psi would be pretty good. With a nice big tank I would be ready to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:15 AM

You state that 12V cut off switches are pretty easy to find.. Mind if you let me in on where I can find one? I need one for my OBA setup.

Thanks..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I found a lot of good OBA info on this page http://www.paulsjeeplinks.com/ Go to the on board air section and you will find write ups, and product links.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:41 PM

About 40 years ago I built one with the York-type compressor from a deep freeze we got right after the war. By the early '60s the box was rusting out so I got the compressor. Put a pressure switch and relief valve on it, and a pressure head tank from an old steam heating system. The pressure switch was set for 125 PSI. It ran for another 35 years, and the compressor was still working but the tank finally rusted out. It only had a 1/4 HP motor on it, and was pretty slow to fill the tank, but the tank was about 35 gallons, and I always left it plugged in, so I always had plenty of air for blowing stuff off and inflating tires. Any significant air tool ran the tank down, and then it took half an hour to get pressure back, but it was a great machine for many years, and only cost a few bucks for the switch and relief valve.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:43 PM

I have had a friend of my dad's that used to make the same thing for vacume pumps. Worked great. I'm sure it would do the same for a small compressor. Keep in mind one major thing. They will build plenty of pressure but that have a very small small volume output. They just don't pump that much. While better than the 12v cig lighter cheapies they will work kinda the same. (take forever to fill a tire up)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 PM

Why not use a York compressor with an electric motor?

Keith
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 03:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Before my daughter was born I bought a two-cylinder refrigeration compressor that came out of a Borden's Ice Cream freezer....the chest type.....from a junk shop for five bucks. My daughter is almost thirty now, and a Harvard Professor; the little compressor is still under the workbench clickin' 'em off and pumping up to cut-off (120 PSI) with little hesitation.. I have it mounted on a tank now and it has a nice pressure switch from Square D. I've used it for both compressor and vacuum pump for YEARS and YEARS.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

As an update... I have been shopping around for parts that I am going to need. The pressure relay is was the hardest to find. I tried granger without too much luck, then I tried Square D and they had exactly what I was looking for, and for less than $20. Most everything else I am going to need was able to find at home Depo. And I think I have decided on an 11 gal tank.

Anyone have any input on how much usable air you have from a 10Gal tank at about 120Psi. How many tires, how long can you use air tools? Anyone have a set up like that that cares to chime in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode