Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 2.5L

kevin
2000 jeep wrangler
2.4L

ok, ill probably seem new and thats because i am...i just recently bought a 2000 jeep wrangler, it has 51" tires on it and has a 2.5L stock engine under the hood, there lies my problem, i get no acceleration power at all on highways, im lucky to hit 75mph. any quick and inexpensive ways of adding a bit more power? your help would be very much appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: My 2.5L

(a brief word from our sponsor)
Please fill out your profile[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] people look there to learn all sorts of good stuff about you.

I'm sure that you meant 31" tires. If you have 51" ..there are some on this board that want to know how you did it ..and where you found them[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you have an automatic:
Save your money for gears.

If you have a stick:

Forget about 5th gear.

There is NO shortcut to horsepower.

How much faster do you want to go then 75 mph? Are your normal driving habits going to require warp speed of a higher order? Admittedly contemporary traffic habits tend to "go as fast as space permits" ..but 75mph seems to be the "normal" ceiling of acceptable highway velocities.

...also ..the 4 banger never came stock with 31" tires ..in fact I don't think a TJ came with anything bigger than the 30" tire package (28.7" in dia.) ...have you changed your speedo gear ..or verified that it is correct? You may in fact be doing faster than you think. You won't go any faster ...but you will feel better about how miserable the thing is performing.

Any true power gains are going to cost you. Forget about the exhaust systems and even the intake thingies unless you want a reusable filter.

Save your money for gears....you probably won't go any faster ..but you'll feel better getting there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My 2.5L

thanks a bunch, and yea i did mean 31" tires sorry about that, its a 5 speed manual, and 2day i experimented a little with my clutch-gas habits being this my first manual and i have found an easier way to accelerate faster than what i thought i could, and no the 31" tires are not stock, they were put on by the owner before me, along with some nice american racing rims, thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode