Has anyone ever put a diesel in their Jeep?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone ever put a diesel in their Jeep??

Hello all,
Has anyone ever thought of putting a diesel in your jeep? Becuase I can get a hold of a Nissan Diesel(out of a Scout)For really cheap and it runs. What kind of problems have you encountered? Also, is it even worth it? It is just an idea, I probably not do it. Just curious.
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Has anyone ever put a diesel in their Jeep??

A guy out on the Katemcy Rocks in Katemcy, Tx this past weekend had a 6 cyl cummins turbo. I didn't get to see it though. My friend said it was sweet. He may be a member of the Fritztown fourwheelin dutchmen. They may have a web site, I'm not sure. A picture of it could also be on the website www.rock-it-land.com under the katemcy rocks. There's some good crawling out there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks jcav, I am going to go to that site and look around. I know that diesels are good for rockcrawling, but, I dont know about mud. I have low gears in my jeep, I think 4.27s. Would diesel still spin the tires in the mud with those gears?
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think my dad just had a differnt fuel stop plate put in his 96 cummins in a 1 ton dually. It will spin very easily. A little much for a jeep though, pretty heavy. I would just stick to a 4.2 for rock crawling, but if you want HP go to a V8. I will have a 4.2 bored .060, ~270 duration cam, 4bbl intake, hdrs. and 4.0 head. I should have it back together next week. You may check out a 4.6 of 4.7 stroker. Basically a 4.0 with a 4.2 crank, rods, and pistons (200-250 hp) (lots of torque). Best of both, but $$$, just like the cummins.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 02:28 AM

My question would be,..WHY?
Diesels are heavy, expensive and they dont rev up very quickly.
Whats the upside?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 05:50 AM

Why??
I put a diesel in my Jeep for 2 reasons.
The most important one was, fuel mileage and torque.
What other engine can you get 190hp and 380 ft lbs out of and still get 20mpg in a 2 tonne Jeep??
The other reason was, just to be different.
Jeeps with 350's and 302's are a dime a dozen these days, but how many can you find with a 6.5L turbo diesel in them??

This engine is the same weight as a 454, I got it (running) for $500 and you would be surprised at how fast it will rev up.

I have had the gassers in my Jeep, but now that I have this engine in there I will never go back to a gasser!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hell, back in the Early 60's some Jeeps came with a small 4 popper Perkins Diesel. put something like 65 hp and 145 ftlb

In the Austria Jeep plant , you know the one in Europe, they make XJ's and I think Zj's with diesels. I think all that torque would be really cool. One of my new magazines has an article about a guy that built his CJ7 with a diesel, I'll see if I can remember to grab it at lunch time.

brent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think if you could make it work then it would be very cool. It's not every day that you hear a jeep with that rumble. I love that Diesel rumble
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

If you go with a Cummins 4BT 3.9ltr 4 cylinder diesel you have the exact same engine as the 6 cylinder cummins (minus 2 cylinders obviously) and thus you can do alot of the same mods you do to the 6 cylinder to get extra horsepower and torque.

The 4BT is lighter and gets great mileage as said above, and in my opinion you don't need a hot rod engine when rock crawling. In stock form, the 4BT puts out around 105 HP I think. These engines are rated to run up to 500,000 miles so you get longetvity too. These engines come in the Frito Lay delivery trucks and have a Chevy SM465 tranny behind them, so all you would need would be the kit from AA to adapt the 465 to you Dana 300 and your set to go.

I think you can use the NV4500 too, becasue I think the bolt pattern is the same as the 6 cylinder, so get you a 4wd dodge nv4500 and you don't need any adapters.

This is the plan for my scrambler....it would already have it, but I decided to spend the money I had saved on a trailer instead, but I'll get it sonner or later.

Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tdr1.com>www.tdr1.com</a> and go to their discussion forums and the board called cummins conversions, theres alot more info there.

I was at Katemcy last weekend and wanted to get a look at the Diesel Jeep while I was there, but didn't get around to it.

kerryp
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all of the replies. I love the torque of a diesel and also the rumble(Espacially when theres a straight coming off of it!!!).Also, the other reasons I was looking at it where the same as some of you. Longevity(Spelling?)Gas milage, and durablility. Since I have decieded to drive my Jeep everyday I am looking to somehow get better milage. So this though came.
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode