Favorite place to wheel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Favorite place to wheel?

I was just curious where everyones favorite place to wheel is? From the posts that I read, It seems that there are more Jeepers that rock crawl.

We do not have really any rocks to speak of here in Ohio. We go to a place called Haspin acres in Indiana (south of Conersville) which is a nice place something like a thousand acres of hills and more hills and home of the Devils backbone ( a side of a mountain that is straight up for several hundred feet it is literally littered with vehicles that didn't make it). I have heard that it is off limits now.

Sheb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:02 PM

Re: Favorite place to wheel?

Wheel? What is that? J/K...

Im always too busy fixing something else to wheel...
If its not one thing, its another...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rock Garden. It's only 10 miles from my house and there are never many people there because unless you know where it is you can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tell Me about haspin I live about 45min from there and have never been..

Badlands is sweet
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:09 PM

Haspin is cool. It's 750 acres and a lot of fun. It is kinda wild.(drinking wise) As far as the bone is concerned.........it's still open. And I also think someone is puling your leg. It is big. It is bad. It is hard. I have also seen plenty of rolls there. But it is doable. We even took a stock TJ with 4" lift, 33's and open axles up it.(at night even)
Here's a pic of my buddy after a slight "change of plans" at the bottom of the bone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888474-roll2.jpg (38.7 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:19 PM

Johnson Valley is my favorite place to go and just "WHEEL".
You can take off at anytime of the day or night and just start heading uphill through the canyons. You can wheel 3 or 4 different trails per day, and you can get crazy on any new lines you might want to try.
I especialy love wheeling Jack hammer, Sledge Hammer and Wrecking Ball at night,.we wheel them up the trails, then we will turn around and run them backwards,(usually without lights if the moon is out and above the canyon walls).

I really want to get out and wheel in Brads neck of the woods, that is a rock crawling mecca. Maybe this winter, if the rebuild goes quick and painless.

I like the Rubicon, just because I live so close to it, and its a good place to just get out and wheel, have a few beers, grill some dead animal, and relax.

Moab is also an awsome place to go and play, but its so big you either need to pick and choose a few of your favorite trails, or you need to spend a week or more exploring the dozens of trails
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:24 PM

I was kinda wondering about that first discription of the Bone,.."a couple of hundred feet, straight up",...damn, and me without my anti grav generator. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:29 PM

My favorite place to wheel is the Pipeline near Lakewood, Wisconsin. Not much if you like lots of rocks; but mud, well, that's a different story.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok DD you know what I drive,, Can I make it at haspin?? if so I am there... We have been wanting to try it but were not sure about going it alone..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 01:10 PM

No problem Jeff(rio). It would be the same as attica. You can go and have fun but you can't run everything. I will say that acre by acre haspin is much tougher. It doesn't have to much wide open areas and no dune areas. It's pretty much tight trails, woods, hillclimbs, and bottomless holes. Don't let it scare you though. The only thing is to take someone with you. You can get into places only to find out that the "easiest" way out was the hill that scared the crap out of you that you came in on. (and now you have to climb it out) Just go and have a good time. You'll like it. (take a winch!!!!)
H8, I guess I forgot that we put helium in the tires to make it. hahaha[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
(you can always tell the skill level by the story. if it sounds unreal.......it is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode